2 red rings will cost me £95

welshcraig

My sons 360 gets 2 red rings after playing for 30 min. ive made sure all air vents are clear and fan is working( does sound like its going to take off ). phoned m/s and told as its out of warranty it will cost £95 to get it fixed. does any one know where i could get it fixed cheaper in s/wales area or is it easy to fix it yourself. i have seen a repair book on ebay and a video thats says all thats needed is solder and flux (is it really that easy):confused:

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
Just to let you know if it comes to it for £95 you can have a whole new one with a new set of guarantee.

Those "repair" books may or not work, but i would never buy them as the majority of people selling them have gotten them for free elsewhere - like most "ebooks" on ebay.. just trieing to make a quick punt IMO :thumbsdow

kopchoir

Banned
cook it till it gets 3 red rings;)

Satsui_Ryu

Distinguished Member
Why do Microsoft expect people to pay £95 to fix an out of warranty console when they can buy a new console w/ 2 games for £100?

Price gouging to the extreme! :eek:

shagaboopon

I suspect if you were prepared to open it yourself you would find that underneath the motherboard one of the xclamps has popped off so heat isn't been dispersed from the GPU or CPU. It could also be clumps of dust internally between the fans and the heatsink although if you've kept it well ventilated and clean it's unlikely. If they say it's £95 for a repair then I don't see what harm you can do looking yourself if your comfortable doing so as it's out of warranty anyway. If the xclamp has popped then you would be best off looking at removing them and doing one of the many fixes thats out there. Just be very careful when it comes to tightening down whatever method you use as that can cause long term damage if you tighten too hard and warp the board.

Kop, his problem may not actually be RROD/E74 related so cooking it would probably not induce the 2 covered faults.

chammyman

Standard Member
x clamps when tensioned right will be fine no need for screws etc

taking them apart is pretty easy, the tricky bit is the rear of the console trying not to damage the plastic when popping the clips.

When you get it apart I always cut the metal fan grille out, helps it run cooler and quiter as well. Doing the duct mod also helps dump a lot of heat out the back instead of it going into the dvd drive.

welshcraig

thx for the replys no harm in opening and trying the repair myself as i would just have to buy a new one anyway.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Next time your son plays it, put it on top of a radiator. It'll soon RROD. I was in the same situation as you until i did this

dub007

alternatively you could just buy some bricks ;):devil:

He get more use out of bricks then what he has now :rotfl: but on a serious note!!! i have had 3 xbox 360 two with the three red lights and the other where the dvd packed up:eek: i no there cheap and all that but really there is only so much we can do to keep going out and buying new consoles every year or so:thumbsdow

welshcraig

Next time your son plays it, put it on top of a radiator. It'll soon RROD. I was in the same situation as you until i did this
it was fixed about 2-3 years ago after having the rrod and now only has 2 red lights. even if it did get the rrod id have to pay as its out of warranty.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
He get more use out of bricks then what he has now :rotfl: but on a serious note!!! i have had 3 xbox 360 two with the three red lights and the other where the dvd packed up:eek: i no there cheap and all that but really there is only so much we can do to keep going out and buying new consoles every year or so:thumbsdow
My brother has had 4 PS3's this year, all with the dvd drive packing up. Not just a microsoft prblem

dub007

My brother has had 4 PS3's this year, all with the dvd drive packing up. Not just a microsoft prblem

I was just having a joke on here!! i am not getting into a debate on here about what is better or not :rolleyes: just stating the fact how many xbox360 i have had returned and it is a world known joke with the 360 to have rrod or this guy's case 2 red lights!!! your bro must of been very unlucky or careless with his disk to have 4 ps3 drives to pack up:eek: overall we knock sony for a lot diabolical decisions but build quality is usually spot on with most of there electronics stuff, i just think till Microsoft bring out a total new console or a complete redesign of the 360! then we are always going to have problems like this, alas if its broke throw it away and go buy another as we are so cheap:suicide:(but we get your money ether way);)

Last edited:

Rob B

Been monitoring this thread as I have an old premium which packed in due to 2 red lights so I figured I'd dig it out and try to fix it.

Problem is, the dismantling guides on the net all say I need a special kit to safely take it apart. Is this true or is it possible to get it open with basic tools?

nheather

Distinguished Member
Can you still get Arcades from Asda for £95?

I know they were selling at that about a month ago but I thought that they'd gone back upto £130 pretty much everywhere.

The reason is that I've just ordered a new Premium to replace a faulty XBox because it seemed better value than the Arcade £160 vs £140, but if I can get an Arcade for £95 I will cancel the Premium.

To the OP - I've seen companies offering XBox 360 repairs for about £60 - just depend sif there is one in your area. But I agree, for £95 I'd buy an Arcade, even at £130. You'll get an extra controller which you could keep or sell to bring the price down.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
S

Simon Coates

My sons 360 gets 2 red rings after playing for 30 min. ive made sure all air vents are clear and fan is working( does sound like its going to take off ). phoned m/s and told as its out of warranty it will cost £95 to get it fixed. does any one know where i could get it fixed cheaper in s/wales area or is it easy to fix it yourself. i have seen a repair book on ebay and a video thats says all thats needed is solder and flux (is it really that easy):confused:

My son's console got 2 red lights a couple of years ago. I opened it up and the heatsink was totally blocked with dust and fluff - we'd fitted a new carpet in his bedroom a few months before and that had caused the problem.
I wonder if you might have a similar problem. Try blowing some compressed air through the fans at the back of the console - if you haven't got a compressor try a hairdryer on cold. See if and dust comes out of the vents. If not then it's probably a bad heatsink connection.
Worth a try!!!

HTH

Simon

beasty54

Distinguished Member
If it is indeed the usual problem then the only way to do a proper fix is to reflow the solder using a heat gun.

shagaboopon

2 lights is usually overheating or a shorting chassis. The easiest fix first is to clean the 360 out and try again, after that you could try insulating the chassis. For £95 I would be tempted to have a look myself first but it depends if you're comfortable doing so. See my earlier suggestion regarding the xclamps underneath the motherboard too.

welshcraig

got around to fixing it today. got the flux and took it all apart ( pretty easy in the end ) couldnt believe how much dust gets into these things tho. give it all a good clean and used the flux and put it all back together and has worked fine. my son has played on it for hours with no red lights so he is happy and so am i as i didnt burn a hole in my pocket as m/s wanted £95 for a job that took less than an hour to do:rotfl:. thx for the help guys:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022