2 Questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by steveburrows, Jun 2, 2005.

1. steveburrows

steveburrows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Panasonic E85 HDD & DVD Recorder.

Firstly I am trying to backup my VHS Video collection to the HDD but on some of the tapes I get a message saying it cannot be coppied because of copyright. Is there any way round this?

Secondly, I am using a spindle of DVD-R discs to try to record on. I keep getting an error message saying non recordable media? Does the E85 only accept certain DVD-R media, i.e. Panasonic or more expensive ones?. Granted I bought a spindle and they were not expensive but it doesnt say in the manual that it only plays certain types.

Many thanks in advance

Steve

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    There is but we are not allowed to discuss them on this forum. Have a look around for special scart leads...

Are you sure they are DVD-R and not DVD+R (sometimes misleading marketed as DVDR)? The E85 can only record onto DVD-R discs. Failing that the E85, like most DVD recorders, won't record onto 8x DVD-R media.

3. steveburrows

steveburrows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply

Yes they are definately DVD-R i bought that are compatable with my PC. They are made by Verbatim 8x certified DVD-R.

From your message does this mean that they will not work on my E85? If thats the case what discs can I get from Currys, Comet or PC World that will definately work with the recorder?

Many thanks for the help much appreciated.

Steve

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Verbatim 8x DVD-R should work - even on the E85. Try a couple more discs - and if you are still having problems try picking up some 4x media from your local store and see if that helps.

5. steveburrows

steveburrows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again mate

They dont work. Off I went to PC World today and bought some 1-4x DVD-R. Now the 8 speed arent even recognised as recording media, the 4x I got today worked fine for 5 mins then the system locked up. I managed to record 5 minutes on them no bother and trhought I was out of the woods, then it just froze frame, stopped recording and locked up. WHen I tried and started the recording again it said the disc cannot be recorded on.

I give up !!

Its going back tomorrow to Comet and I shall get a refund. Can you recomment a decent HDD and DVD recorder other than the 85?

Cheers again for the help

Steve

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I have an E95 and that works with all the DVD's that I've thrown at it, including the "cheap and cheerful" ones. Looks like you got a dud machine.

7. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I concur with the previous post. It is not unknown for your source to try and sell on returned or display stock as if it were new. Getting another 85 from a more reputable retailer might give you a different experience altogether.

Rasczak's advice on discs is sound, but you don't want to go getting them from PC World all the time. There are a few on-line stores which will supply you on a more reliable stock basis.

8. steveburrows

steveburrows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate your help.

Steve

9. steveburrows

steveburrows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I returned it today and under duress and got a refund. The girl stated I was doing something wrong and that I needed to select I had a DVD-R disc in, under one of the menu functions??? She went on to say if DVD-R didnt work I should use DVD+R. She said she had the same model and they work fine on hers and I was doing something wrong. Well I didnt find the option to select DVD-R in any such menu and know for sure they dont take +R. She said to me "follow me" and went storming off to the display stand to show me that +R could be used. Obviously when she got there she was a little red faced as it clearly stated Ram or -R for recording. I then said I thought you had this model at home and they work fine, perhaps you should contact Panasonic and let them know you can use DVD+R for recording I am sure they would be interested. She then ommited to saying well it could be a different make. To which I replied well if you cant tell a Panasonic from a Bosch your in the wrong job. Geez what a battle. Anyways got a refund so am pleased.

Failing getting another E85 from a decent retailer are there any other good HDD and DVD recorders out their for similar money worth a look?

Thanks once again for the help

Steve

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    - Panasonic EH50
    - Toshiba RDXS34
    - Sony RDR-GX510

...all around the £300 mark (online prices!).

11. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    my E85 faultless - no consolation to you I know - just took a bit to get the hang of the menus. Got mine from richer sounds - used all kinds of DVD-Rs with not a problem except one disk kept making the player reset itself. I took the hint and threw the blank away and it was fine. I get a good picture and good quality recordings. I recommend 'em. of course if you want digital tuner/toslink you need another model.

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    She was talking out of her rear end. The E85 and E95 recognise the disk format automatically - there is no menu selection to make. If you want a full featured machine at a good price, consider the E95 - many suppliers are doing this one cheap, because a new model is on the horizon. Don't let one bad experience with a Pannie put you off, because they are basically good machines.

13. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've got to say I've only just realized x8 DVD-R aren't meant to work.

I bought some Tesco ones, a spindle of 25 for under £10 and so far they've worked fine.

Perhaps I'm tempting fate though!!!!

14. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i bought an e85 about 6 weeks ago and its lovely - had a EH50 before that but it had a dreaded "firmware" issue so it went back.

I bought the E85 to replace my old E50 which i'd had for a couple of years. The E50 has great except when you recorded on to DVD-r with cheap media. it would start recording then lock up (anytime from 30 seconds to 90 mins into the recording.)

now i record to the HD and dump stuff to the DVD-r disks. there isn't that much i want to keep so i use branded media now and is lovely :thumbsup:

gary