2 questions with Harmony 555

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by super-saint, Feb 11, 2009.

1. super-saint

super-saint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi guys

Got 2 questions with my Harmony 555

1. When using Sky HD, instead of selecting GUIDE & THEN number 2 for HD channels, can I add a sequence in that I just hit one key & the remote does the rest ? I have added a squence on PC program but can not see what button I need to hit on remote in order to perform sequence.

2. Sometimes i watch TV & SkyHD with my amp on & sometimes without. I have added an activity for both BUT is their a way on when selecting WATCH TV WITH AMP it automatically turns the volume down on the TV & just leaves sound coming out of Amp?

Thanks in advance.

2. monksy74

monksy74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    1. If you've already created the sequence in the customize buttons section of the activity when you assign a command to a button choose Sequence from the device drop down. The command drop down will then contain any sequences you've created.

It's worth addin the inputsky command to the start of that sequence so it works even if you've paused live tv. Have you seen the sky tips in the harmony tips & tricks sticky thread for other useful button mappings and sequences?

2. The easiest way to dothis is to add the mute command as an additional command when the activity starts and also add it as an additional command when leaving the activity.

Panny plasmas display a mute icon but it disappears after a minute or so.

Search my recent posts for more detailed instructions on both these questions - I'm posting this from my phone so can't copy & paste links

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  3. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Yes, they're both standard things to do.
    Your HD Channels Sequence, plus the Sky, is on my Prev button; and if I didn't have the TV speakers permanently off I'd use the Mute as Additional Command method.

4. super-saint

super-saint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Cheers for your help guys

I have sorted the MUTE button out when I now turn on my Amp with TV but am still having a problem setting a sequence to go straight to my HD channels in favorites on SkyHD. I have set the sequence ( GUIDE then number 2) but can see no where to allocate a button on the remote....any ideas ?

Also a new problem...when turning on TV it goes straight to freeview instead on going to HDMI2 for Sky. I assume this has something to do with the delay in sending signal - I have reduced delay to 3000ms but still no joy. ANyone know the best setting for a Panny plasma ?

Thanks

5. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855

Go into the activity you want to add the sequence to, choose 'customize buttons' find a button you want to allocate it to under standard or additional buttons tabs.
    Under the device column click the drop down and choose sequence then under the command column choose the sequence you have created.

Unfortunately I've found Panny Plasma's will always go to the internal tuner by default even if you choose start on AV in the TV's own menu's.
    Make sure you are sending a command in the activity start sequence to set the input to HDMI2 rather than relying on the HDMI handshake to does this.

I had problems sending discreet input commands to my PX80 and spent months trying to get them working properly. In the end i re-added TV but this time specified the exact model number down to EU country code and ever since all my input commands have worked faultlessly so double check your exact TV model number is specified.

6. monksy74

monksy74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    If you set it to AV in the TV menu it will go to AV1 or HDMI1, but only if the connected device is on and sending a control signal. If not then it goes to TV.

You can force the TV to always go to a specific input using a hidden installer menu called HOTEL MODE.

Details here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/6539544-post3094.html

7. monksy74

monksy74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    In the TV device Input settings what have you chosen for the Input method? 1 - one button cycles, 2 - different button for each input, 3 - a button for a list, another to cycle the list and a third to select or 4 - can't remember the exact description of this one, but you shouldn't be using it?

For my PZ70 some of the discrete input commands don't work so I use option 3. Uridium has all discrete commands working on a PX80 so I would assume your 85 also has working discretes. If this is the case you should be using method 2 and selecting the appropriate command for each input (the commands will have names like "InputHDMI1" or "InputAV1".

The power on delay for my TV is set to 7000ms. 3000 is way too low so maybe it's sending the input commands before the TV has warmed up and is ready to receive them.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  8. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    So your saying if the SkyHD box is powered on before the Plasma it will detect the AV input and not show the internal tuner? that's useful info cheers.

Yes when i got my PX80 when it first came out and used to use the old input method setup and it was a nightmare.
    When i re-added the TV a few months later all the Discreet commands were there in the DB. Makes life so much easier so definitely worth checking.

9. monksy74

monksy74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Yes, and if the TV is switched on first, then you switch the device on it should automatically switch to that input (as long as the device is sending a control signal).

I think it only works with the AV1 and HDMI1 inputs. I used to do it on a sky+ box via SCART. There's a setting in the Sky settings to tell it to send a SCART control signal, not sure if there's a similar setting on Sky+HD.

It doesn't make much difference when using a Harmony as the remote sets the input before it turns sky on.

I have mine set to always come on to HDMI1 regardless (via the hotel mode setting).

What is the exact model number of your TV in the Harmony software? I've tried a number of different Panny model numbers but I'll give it another go to find those elusive discretes.

Are all the discretes available as commands in device mode, and do they work in device mode? or are some of them only available in the list of commands in the input settings when you choose Method 2? or are some only available as extra command options on activity startup?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  10. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855

TV is listed in Harmony app as (PanasonicTH-42PX80 (EU)

Looking in the input settings for the device it is set to method 2 but I'm afraid i haven't tried all of the discreets. Only ones that i have tried are HDMI1, HDMI2 and AV1. These worked fine straight from Database though. Are there any in particular you want me to try?

Thinking about it i bet the software in most if not all of the 2008 model panny plasma's is the same as the 2008 range share a lot of hardware other than the panel.

Might be worth anyone having problems getting discreet inputs to work giving this model a go.

11. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Whenever there are input problems, and there are discrete input commands in the database, the best thing to do first is test them all and make notes of what they actually do.
    That makes it much easier to set up those you want in Method 2.