1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Questions Regarding Ordering An Svs Into The Uk

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Arif, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I've been persuaded by everyone here to upgrade from my KEF PSW2010 sub to the 25-31 PC Plus.

Two overall questions : 1) How does the whole import tax thing work? I mean - do they prevent me accessing the goods until the tax is paid? Or do I receive as normal - but with an invoice for import duties and VAT? Or is it all down to trust, or something?

2) Do the subs from SVS come in 240 Volt guise? Does not look as though there's any switch on the sub - and so hoping this silly question has an equally obvious answer.

:lease:

Thanks in advance again, guys and girls

Arif

2. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I've just done the Upgrade from 2010 to 20-39PC+ and all i can say is that you will be grinning like a cheshire cat for the rest of your life EVERY time you watch a film.

1. I bought mine 2nd hand from a member on this forum but i believe that the Tax ecrt this end has to be paid to the delivery driver, or on collection from the shipping company

2. When ordering the Sub from SVS, you must state that you require a 240v Model.

Hope this helps

Steve

3. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve dude!!

Nice one!!

I was wondering whether or not the upgrade would 'really' make all that much of a difference - and even 'remotely noticable' is worth it - cos the KEF gets good reviews overall - and so to know that you're in the position to speak on the precise upgrade that I'm considering, is really confidence-boosting! Cos until you hear it like this, one's always left wondering that maybe everyone else is so impressed because they didn't start off with a wicked sub like the 2010 to begin with, type thing.

And so thank you also for the other answers too. Very helpful!!

I'm now just awaiting word from Erik at SVS on precise costing, etc.

Take care,

Arif

4. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    What Steve said. I did it a couple of weeks ago and it went like this:-

When the goods arrive in the UK, they have to clear customs.

Once this has occured, the courier company (SVS use Bax Global) will contact you and tell you how much you need to pay. At this point, they will already have paid this money to Customs and as such you owe Bax the money. They insist on being paid up front, and this can be done over the phone with plastic. If you use a credit card, they charge an extra couple of percent, so Switch / Maestro is best for cheapness.

The amount added is between 21 and 22%. This is import duty and VAT. It is applied to the value of the goods PLUS the cost of postage.

Had my PB12 Ultra for a couple of weeks now, and it really is a superb piece of kit. Does exactly what it says on the tin when asked to and is very well behaved when not needed. Apart from taking up a huge amount of floorspace.

Treated relatives to a demo of the Master and Commander battle scene at reference. Free haircuts all round :D Just pure, clean hits without a hint of boom or fuzz. It keeps out of the way of the rest of the mix so well that absolutely nothing gets lost. I'm a very happy bunny.

Gary

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    You can also pay the driver cash on delivery if you want, the people at bax were very good to deal with.

6. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,349
    I would bet you have an SVS owner somewhere within a 20 mile radius of where you live who would be willing to give you a demo of their sub.It may not be the 25-31 but once you have heard any svs sub you won't be able to order your own quick enough.

7. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary, Bob1 and Keith,

Thanks guys - very helpful.

Gary - that's exactly the level of detail I was after. Will be able to press ahead more confidently now.

I'm just awaiting word from Erik now - for pricing, etc.

Don't need any further persuasion!!

Have a good Friday and weekend, all...

Arif

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Arif
    The svs will be like night and day compaired to the kef you WILL notice a very big difference. :)

9. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again -

How did you guys pay for the SVS?!?!?!

I'm having trouble figuring out how to do the payment side of things.

Okay - so Erik at SVS has told me that Visa is a slow method - and that money transfer or cashier's cheque ('check') would be better. Also - electronic transfer. I guess we call the latter BACS or CHAPS here in the UK?

I want the quickest method - but really need a dummy's guide as to how it all physically works. I mean - do we sort the money side with SVS first - then order the thing by e-mail??

What are the options, and how do they work - what order do things happen - and does credit card really take all that long then?

Help please!!

(I will ask to be exempt from any forum-anger for asking a desperate and possibly silly series of questions, which may or may not have been covered elsewhere - because I'm trying to get hold of an SVS, and am too excited/frustrated!! I claim exemption behind the 'Desperate Prospective SVS-Owner' cloak of protection)

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I would guess that most of us have paid by credit card and I'm not sure why it should be any slower as I'm sure that mine was fairly instantaneous.

A friend did get caught out when he ordered two subs as his credit card provider wouldn't sanction the payment until they had spoken to him due to the unusual size of the transaction and that caused a delay of a day or two

11. dAVefaulkner

dAVefaulkner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read this thread for full info:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121385

This is the diary of how I got mine:
    1.Emailed SVS for shipping quote. They quote you door-to-door and door-to-airport.
    2.Placed order for PB10-ISD on-line through SVS website; specify 240v in comments section.
    3.Received order confirmation straight away. Told I'd have to wait for CC details to clear through their fraud prevention department (2-14 days!).
    4.My CC fraud prevention dept contacted me within hour to check my order was real - because of the significant/overseas value
    5.Waited 2 weeks, heard nothing :( Chased SVS; they hadn't had authorisation for CC payment. So they chose an alternative/interesting way of authenticating my CC details. They charged a few cents <$1 to my CC and told me to contact my CC company to find out how much was charged. I then told SVS how much was charged (thus verifying me as the true CC account holder). Goods then despatched
    6.Contacted by BAXGlobal 3 days later; item had landed in UK customs. Estimated delivery 4 days (to clear customs)
    7.I contacted BAXGlobal 5 days later. Goods due to clear customs following morning. Quoted me the duty/VAT to pay. I payed over phone by CC
    8.Goods delivered 2 days later. :clap:
    9.Installed in lounge and plugged in; windows blew out :) Only joking - but it does sound really fantastic :thumbsup: You will be higly pleased with the results. Go for it but just be patient.

12. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thanks for that.

On the back of this I've gone the credit card route anyway - so thanks Ian.

However - again on account of your helpful details here (DaVefaulkner) - I sought to pre-empt this potential delay by contacting my bank first - to leave a note with them to 'expect' this transaction. However - the transaction had already been approved!! HSBC rock!! I did leave a note with them to expect the second payment for shipping - which I assume is indeed charged to the credit card as a separate transaction? :confused:

Thanks again guys - I'm really wary of buying from abroad - my first time as it happens - and you've all made it much less concerning and scary for me.

I'll keep you all posted - and am looking forward (God Willing) to making the classic 'I've just rigged up my SVS and am blown away!' post!

Arif

13. dAVefaulkner

dAVefaulkner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, shipping was charged separately.

14. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,513
    I ordered my PB12 Ultra last Friday via debit card and it arrived this afternoon :)

Bax were fine (despite what I have heard), phoned me on Tuesday to say it had arrived and twiddled their thumbs for a couple of days before delivering it. 1 week is pretty damn quick so no probs there.

I have to say the driver and I had to carry the thing quite a way as my daughter has 'hidden' our front door key! Mind your back :)

I gave the driver a cheque for the import + Vat.

15. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gonzo dude - Nice one!! There's always that lump in your throat when you worry that you're forking out a lot of money for a toy that will only be negligibly, if at all different/superior. On account of your post - lump gone!

Angeleyes - thanks for the info. My problem incidentally is that I won't be in of a weekday - and so will have to pick it up from Heathrow or their Birmingham depot - which am not sure if is open on a Saturday or not.

Thanks again, all!!