2 Questions please!?!

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks fo looking - ok here we go:
1. I have an OEM version of Nero 6 Express - it has vsison express, burning rom and other bits in it. However it just keeps shutting down everytime I go to create a DVD from MPEG2 files (recorded with my Nebula DigiTV card) - therefore I can't actually make a DVD compliant back-up of stuff recorded off the telly. Arghh! :mad: Anyone else struggle with this software? I have a Sont DR-18U dvd writer.

2. I want to transfer files from my laptop to the PC at home, but some are gig size (hence can't stick 'em on a CD. Now the guy in the shop told me to get a network card and connect up LAN connections. So I did. But I can't get the 2 to talk to each other. If I do (How please?) will I be able to copy files from one to the other?

Many thanks for looking and any advice appreciated.#

Cheers

Donnacha

is the laptop connected directly to the PC with a network cable?

or are you using a hub / switch / wap etc?

If it's a direct cable connection you'll need a crossover cable, the one supplied with the network card will be no use.

second, you'll need to give each PC an IP address in the same range,
If you're not using the network adapters for anything else, this can be anything you want..

eg PC
IP Address 10.99.1.1
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 10.99.1.1 ( not actually required unless you've got a router)

Laptop
IP Address 10.99.1.2
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 10.99.1.1 ( not actually required unless you've got a router)

If you cant get your hands on a crossover cable PM and i'll post you one, no cost involved..

once you've done this you'll be able to copy files with ease..

On your first Q... I have both Nebula Digi AND DRU18 DVD.. i'll have a go and see what happens on my sys..

Great - thanks Dude. yes I got a crossover cable. I'll give it a go tonight.

Cheers again

well, i got my DVD copied OK.

I was using 2gb+ mpeg files so had to use the UDF filesystem rather than ISO..

maybe give that a try and see what happens?

UDF - does that mean I need to install InCD? I have this on my other PC and writing CDs is fine. On this PC with the DVD writer, I didn't install it - should I?

Cheers

when you go to 'new compliation' in nero, then choose DVD, the top option will be DVD-ISO in the bar on the left..

if you scroll down you should have DVD-UDF as an option..

I'm no expert on the technical side of this sort of stuff myself.. just know that when you try to burn a 2gb+ file you get a 'Use UDF Filesystem' popup..

give it a go and see what happens?

Dude - thanks for the info on setting up he ability to transfer files across computers, but...I haven't a clue where to start!! Is there a dummy's guide to this thing anywhere, or could someone please talk me through it??

I have a laptop from work which has a LAN connection, and my HCPC which has a network card and a crossover cable. What's next?

Thanks

you need to get the PCs setup with an IP address so they can see each other, as described in my earlier post.

Which OS are they running?

It's only a 5min job, and not difficult at all, just need to know which OS so as not to post wrong instructions.

The laptop's XP Pro and the PC is XP Home. As the laptop is a work computer, will all the security stuff on it hinder access? Also, will it already have it's own address?

Cheers - much appreciated!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom