2 pairs of speakers in stereo

craigxt22

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys :)

I currently have a standard 2 channel stereo setup. (Nad amp + MA RX2s)

I also have a spare 2 channel amplifier, and a pair of speakers not being used, left in the spare room (old setup, which isn't bad, but not great).

I was wondering if you think it could be good idea to add my old setup into my current one?

I should try it out for myself, but I'd like your thoughts/ opinions etc!

Cheers,

More details please?

What NAD amp do you currently have?

What is the brand and model of your second amp and speakers?

What is it you hope to gain?

The Monitor Audio RX2 are no slouch. These are substantial speakers with 8" bass drivers that should do a pretty good job of it. If your second set of speakers is not of a quality roughly similar to the RX, then I think they will drag the sound quality down. Though, in adding a second set of speaker, sound quality may not be your objective.

I have two amps and two pair of stereo speakers. For music, I typically only use the main set, but for videos, I turn on both amps and activate both sets of speakers for spectacular result for movie watching.

The pre-amp out of the main Yamaha amp feeds the second Onkyo amp. The Onkyo amp has its volume at a fixed level that balances the speakers. Once that fixed level is set, and all changes are made on the Yamaha.

So, yes, you can do what you suggest, but we can't say if it will be to an advantage until we know what you have and what advantage you are trying to achieve.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard

More details please?

What NAD amp do you currently have?

What is the brand and model of your second amp and speakers?

What is it you hope to gain?

The Monitor Audio RX2 are no slouch. These are substantial speakers with 8" bass drivers that should do a pretty good job of it. If your second set of speakers is not of a quality roughly similar to the RX, then I think they will drag the sound quality down. Though, in adding a second set of speaker, sound quality may not be your objective.

I have two amps and two pair of stereo speakers. For music, I typically only use the main set, but for videos, I turn on both amps and activate both sets of speakers for spectacular result for movie watching.

The pre-amp out of the main Yamaha amp feeds the second Onkyo amp. The Onkyo amp has its volume at a fixed level that balances the speakers. Once that fixed level is set, and all changes are made on the Yamaha.

So, yes, you can do what you suggest, but we can't say if it will be to an advantage until we know what you have and what advantage you are trying to achieve.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi Steve,

The amps are: NAD c355BEE, and a Cambridge Audio AZUR 340a.
The second set of speakers are a pair from an old Phillips all in one Hi Fi system, (I thought they were really good for their size/ price and work well with the Cambridge amp).

I always thought 2 pairs of speakers @ half volume, would sound better than 1 pair at full volume.
I was hoping this '2 pair of speakers' method would allow me to lower the volume slightly, and maybe let the smaller pair gently support the RX2s.

Where I'm going to actually locate of the second pair is undecided yet. I.e having a rear pair, or just having two pairs at front.

I was also hoping to connect the two amplifiers the same way you have, in that the second amp is connected to a pre-out on the main one (Which I believe is possible in my case, as my sub is connected via a pre-out)

Also, could you go into more detail regarding films? I take it having a rear pair gives a better stereo experience when watching films?

Cheers :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom