2 optical audio sources to 1 optical input?

Nick_T

Standard Member
Reaction score
Is it possibly to connect two digital optical audio sources (Sky+ box and DVD player for example) to one optical input?

I was looking at this TOSLink Splitter - Digital Optical Splitter:
http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/SP001.html

which appears to be designed to go the other way (one input, two outputs).

Is there a better way? Idealy I would use one Optical and one coax (the inputs I have) but the DVDR I am looking at does not have a coax out and the Sky+ box only has optical out :(

Cheers!

You can do this if both devices turn the optical beam off when the unit is off or in standby. I tried to do this with my original Sky box, but unfortunately the optical output stayed on when the box was in standby. I'm not sure how the Sky+ box behaves. I think you can get devices that convert from optical to co-ax, if that's any use.

P.S. Maplin have one on their website for £14.99, but it's not in stock yet.

I have my xbox and sky+ hooked up this way :smashin: . I use a maxview splitter from B&Q . Try a search , its been mentioned before .There has been some issues with some splitters , but so long as sky is in standby when on the xbox , I've had no problems
atb
JS

Cheers, this is a relief!

I'll have more of a look and try and find one of these optical to coax converters.

Thanks again.

Or you could just get one of These and then you will know for sure that it is going to work.

Mark.

Cheers but I think converting one of the optical sources to Coaxial digital audio would be the most convenient option for me. Anyone know what the quality implications are from doing this conversion (i.e. does this reduce the quality of the signal?).

I'm looking at THIS from TV-Cables or the slightly cheaper one from maplins HERE

The source is only SKY+ so I don't think the quality should be reduced, but I have never used such a device (I only know they exist thanks to Nick's post above!).

Since you are doing a digital to digital conversion, you shouldn't lose much at all.

P.S. I've found another source Keene Electronics at £19.99 - they have a reputation for high-quality stuff, and the unit looks quite robust.

Nick,
I have an optical to coax convertor for sale if you want one. It is the one on Maplins website that sells for £14.99. I've never used it as in the end I upgraded my DVD player. Yours for £10 plus P&P.

I poped into my local Hi-Fi shop today and was told that the convertor's he has which convert from Coax to Optical (the other way to which I want) only convert the Stereo signal and not Dobly Digital 5.1 and DTS which is what I would want! Does anyone know if the convertors mentioned so far will convert all signals from the optical source to coax?

Can anyone confirm whether or not the optical to coax convertors convert the whole signal (Dolby Digital / DTS) as well as stereo? Do you know if your one does Steve?

Cheers!

Nick_T said:
I poped into my local Hi-Fi shop today and was told that the convertor's he has which convert from Coax to Optical (the other way to which I want) only convert the Stereo signal and not Dobly Digital 5.1 and DTS which is what I would want! Does anyone know if the convertors mentioned so far will convert all signals from the optical source to coax?

I don't see why they shouldn't. A £14.99 box isn't going to do any decoding/recoding - it's merely remodulating the co-axial signal onto a light beam, so should make no difference whether it's just plain PCM that's being carried, or encoded Dolby 5.1

You lot have persuaded me... that guy at the Hi-Fi shop sounded like he knew what he was on about but probably didn't..

Steve you have a PM about the contertor you have for sale! Reply as soon as you can. Cheers.

Nick,
Tried to e-mail you but got a undeliverable message from my company server. I'll PM you tomorrow.
Steve

steve 111 said:
Nick,
I have an optical to coax convertor for sale if you want one. It is the one on Maplins website that sells for £14.99. I've never used it as in the end I upgraded my DVD player. Yours for £10 plus P&P.

Steve

Sorry no longer needed so offer withdrawn.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom