2 new AV Receivers required, people with Lexicon / Harman Kardon knowledge or similar

Dr MC

Novice Member
Hi All,

Looking for advise on replacement av receivers as my knowledge and experience may be a little dated these days.

1st receiver is to replace a Lexicon RV-5. These were around £4k back in the day so happy to spend similar now. My criteria for this is ultimate sound quality, i.e. a full sound. The Harman Kardon / Lexicon way was always a rather conservative output figure, it is was always one of all channels running simultaneously at full 20 -20khz with 0.01% distortion. They did this due to their high current capacity architecture which was rare back then and seemingly gone these days. I want a full rich warm powerful sound, and nobody seems to quote specs like they used to. Anyone who has heard a Lexicon or very high end H/K should know the type of sound I am after.

Any suggestions on this area? Up to £5k max and currently running Bowers and Wilkins full surround setup with CM10s at the front and a BK Monolith sub to fill in the gaps, not that there are many. This setup is 90% music 10% other. I appreciate music is best in stereo, however I was always partial to the Logic 7 algorithm, something which is now lost, but I would still prefer one which fills all speakers from stereo source if possible.

2nd receiver probably much simpler I expect. I am still wanting the warmth / full range power a Harman Kardon would provide, but for a lesser room. I have a movie room already which currently does everything I need, but this extra room is for something in between. It will be used 30% tv, 30% music, 20% movies, 20% games consoles (up to 5.0 only but require DTS-MA and similar). This system will not have a sub due to being on floor boards which add annoying harmonics to sub frequencies so all bass is handled by the front speakers (Q Acoustics 3050i) which I appreciate are not bass heavy but adequate for the room.

For this receiver I want to max at £1000 and for reference; Onkyo too bright and clinical, Yamaha too many DSP options getting confusing, Sony too bright and felt ‘dull’ to me, Pioneer bright and new models not appearing, Cambridge Audio very flat sounding. So running out of options.

Any advise appreciated,

Dr MC

Krobar

I suppose the obvious choice for the first system is the JBL Synth SDR-35:

Logic16 is not properly implemented on these yet although they are stable otherwise. These use the higher end Class G variant of the Harman amps which were used in the Lexicon RV-9. An SDR-38 model is due in about 2-3months time which will have a full set of HDMI 2.1 ports as well. The JBLs include the full Dirac Bass Control license. The integrated Roon endpoint support is really nice for music and additional Spotify Connect and Tidal Connect support is currently being certified for a future firmware release.

I would go Denon X2700H for the second room. It has decent HDMI support for the games console and should be trouble free.

Last edited:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Another option for the first system is an Arcam AVR30 (or its Lexicon rebadge: RV-9). Probably the closest to what you had.

You've exhausted almost all the choices for option 2 (I'd have opted for Yamaha and ignore the DSP). Perhaps Denon, since you didn't mention why you don't like it? You may need to consider a price - performance compromise.

Zarf2007

For the 2nd option you could go with this for the arcam sound:

does 4k up to 60hz, hdr/dolby vision/hlg and Dolby atmos/dts:x so unless you want 120hz gaming you are covered. New with 5 year warranty. Agree with Krobar’s first choice

Last edited:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
For the 2nd option you could go with this for the arcam sound:

does [email protected], hdr/d/hlg and Dolby atmos/dts:x so unless you want 120hz gaming you are covered. Agree with Krobar’s first choice
that looks like the best bargain available atm 999 = steal

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Lexicon of old are not the same as new lexicons, logic 7 is stripped down on new ones.

HK used to make high end avr with proper power output...not many that do now, and the makes th have decent output you'll need to get flagship models. And at that price range a good power anoy will still be better.

At £5000 separates are possible. Ie anthem avm70 and tonewinner /iota power amp.

Dr MC

Novice Member
Ok so how does the Denon x2700h sound? I’d probably use some Q Acoustics 3050i plus the appropriate surround speakers, minus subwoofer as it’s upstairs and don’t want it to travel next door. I’ve never really considered Denon but they have stood well compared to all the others who have been bought out and compromised.

The second room sounds mostly sorted, so my main room, the Lexicon range sound like it is not what it was. I don’t really understand the separate pre amp + more setups, so the Lexicon RV-9 is my core option. I assume that drives b&w CM series well? Although the Logic algorithm for multi speaker support sounds worrying

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Ok so how does the Denon x2700h sound? I’d probably use some Q Acoustics 3050i plus the appropriate surround speakers, minus subwoofer as it’s upstairs and don’t want it to travel next door. I’ve never really considered Denon but they have stood well compared to all the others who have been bought out and compromised.

The second room sounds mostly sorted, so my main room, the Lexicon range sound like it is not what it was. I don’t really understand the separate pre amp + more setups, so the Lexicon RV-9 is my core option. I assume that drives b&w CM series well? Although the Logic algorithm for multi speaker support sounds worrying

You can go seperates it just depends on many variables, from budget, room size, racking space available, waf, speaker quality, speaker efficiency and impendence, expected SPL, upgradability, redudancy, swapping components over, reusing amplifier, income, how much you're into the hobby and other reasons

Simplest would be a AVR. That'll do everything.
Next stage would be Poweramp(s) from many monoblocs, to stereo, three, four etc all the way up to maximum number let's say 16. Then have option of biamping. So really going nuts and over the top would be powering every speaker with class a monoblocs

Then ontop or instead of that you have stereo so you can do any or all the above plus have

Stereo integrated amplifier
Then add stereo power amplifier , To biamp
Or
Stereo analogue preamp with stereo poweramp Then add another stereo Poweramp.

Or the above hifi system you use monoblocs.
Again all your choice from avr to way over the top.

My systems are pretty good but compared to what some people have it's nothing. like record player alone.£500,000

For example I have thirteen channels of amplification..I could have one thirteen channel amp (if it existed) or any number from 1-13 to get that total.

Again it's all personal choice.

Dr MC

Novice Member
For the core system, this is already bi-amped, the room size is probably 6 metres wide by 5
Metres deep, normal ceilings. The secondary room is about 5 metres by 4 metres.
Rack space and waf not an issue. The only requirement is if I spend money, it needs to be an obvious improvement.

The second room for example went from creative stereo to Logitech 5.1. This went from the aforementioned to a pioneer vsx-920 plus q acoustics 3050i and other surround speakers. I now want the pioneer to be a noticeable upgrade to something better, will the Denon x2700h do that?

Zarf2007

if you still want the harman/arcam sound then this is a steal and you could probably get it for £1550 for the 2nd room:

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom