2 month old laptop has broken screen, options ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by arthurdentpc, Feb 24, 2014.

1. arthurdentpc

arthurdentpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    We got a Lenovo laptop from Amazon EU at Christmas 2013, and the screen has now gone dim and wont brighten. it's definitely the screen (or connections) because the brightness is fine when viewed on a TV through HDMI.

I couldn't believe it when I went to Amazon to report the failure and got the on-screen reply "Return Window expired on 31 Jan 2014. Read more about returns after 30 days policy". Basically their stance is that over 30 days you need to go back to the manufacturer. Lenovos EU offices appear to be in Slovakia, and to be honest I'm less than keen to try to return it to them there. I'm fairly sure that Amazons stance is not lawful in the UK, with the goods being obviously not fit for purpose.

Any ideas ? At this stage I'm thinking the easiest path is to go to the nearest Fixit shop and get a new screen fitted. I really don't like Amazon shirking their responsibilities here though - it'll certainly make me think before buying anything from them that is expensive and / or a possible failure.

2. arthurdentpc

arthurdentpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    A call to Amazon Customer Services and a refund and postage label is on it's way.

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    It sounds like some part of the backlight has gone.

Customised items cannot be returned but if it was just an off the shelf machine then it's definitely their responsibility. Looking at their website they say here:

"If a product becomes defective after 30 days you won't be able to return it using our Online Returns Centre. You may wish to visit the manufacturer's website or contact them directly as they may be able to offer troubleshooting and support with the issue you have with the product. Alternatively, please Contact Us."

So have you tried the general Contact Us link rather than the returns centre?

As to Lenovo, even if their head returns office is in Slovakia I'd be surprised if such a big company didn't have a UK repair centre.