1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 ipods on 1 computer??

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by scornpaul, Jul 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. scornpaul

scornpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning gentlemen / ladies. I have recently purchased an ipod mini as i thought my other half's was an excellent purchase but to my horror, it will not let me load up the software, as there it is already there from my girlfriends....but how can i add my ipod to her software and start downloading? so far, im left with an empty ipod and sad face :(

thanks guys!

2. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best way to use multiple iPods on a computer is to set up a user account for each person. That way, the Libraries in each account's iTunes will be separate (although you can still share music).

A newer iPod will mean that you need to load the latest version of iTunes. This won't overwrite the existing music.

3. scornpaul

scornpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot mate, i really appreciate it. but how do i set up a user account? im sorry im such a pain, but im a complete mp3 novice!!

4. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Mick knows best. I think Mick is referring to PC accounts.

I use three ipods on my computer...all different types of ipod. I haven't created user accounts because I'm the only one that updates the pods. I plugged each of them in and they worked almost straight away. One thing I needed to do, which Mick said, was to update them all so they have the same version of the software on them. If I were you I'd just go to the apple website, download the latest software and update yours and your mrs ipod.

I also turned auto update off. So I could choose what send to them.

5. scornpaul

scornpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok cool. ill give it a shot, i'm sure ill work it out but its frustrating at the mo....nothing seems to have worked thus far. never mind!

6. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    It does take a bit of fiddling around but worth it in the end :)

7. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was.

However, as you've pointed out, this isn't strictly necessary as long as the newest version of iTunes (and any recent iPod update) is installed before using the newer iPods.

Then, when the newer iPod is plugged in, iTunes will ask if you want to auto-sync it, at which point you click No. After this, you can manually sync songs to the iPod (the first iPod can still be synced automatically though).

It's not as tricky as it sounds... Honest :thumbsup:

8. scornpaul

scornpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope you are right Mick!! im not the MOST computer literate person in the world....but thankfully know my mouse CTRL-ALT-Delete from my Prgrammes-accessories-games....!!!!???? ill let you know how i get on....although i fear the worst :(

9. scornpaul

scornpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, i managed to get everything on my ipod.....its nit exactly an exact science but it seems to work if you update the software on both ipods and on itunes then set itunes to "automatically update ipod".....i found if i selected manual update, it would not give me the option to transfer the music to the ipod.....for some reason. not too much a problem though i dont think.

thanks a lot guys

10. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once in manual update mode, all you have to do is drag the songs, albums, or playlists you want on the iPod to the iPod's icon on the Source list.

Pleased you got it working though.