1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Ipods 1 computer

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by sjp1966, Sep 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My daughter is wanting an iPod for xmas, but i only have 1 PC to store the tracks, how do i keep the tunes/playlists etc seperate

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Just ask iTunes to sync different playlists on different ipods. Simplest would be two playlists - yours and hers, one for each ipod, but you can do pretty much whatever you want. Right-click on the ipod when it's connected to itunes to see the options.

Cheers, Carl.

3. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Name the iPods differently and chose manual synch for both. That way you can dock both iPods at once and copy tracks/cd's to each iPod from iTunes, or whatever you use, without having to listen to each others music.

4. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just have multiple users; each user having their own music. (And their own email settings, web bookmarks etc). I'm not actally sure what happens when you plug in the "wrong" ipod for the current user, but you probably wouldn't do that.

Of course as already mentioned, one itunes music collection can handle multiple ipods. And you can autosync with different playlists.

5. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I use different users areas to managed mine and my brother's ipods. It's by far the best solution because then both itunes are completely independant of each other, so I don't have to have my younger brothers questionable musical tastes shoved in my face everytime I use my itunes library. Of course i've made sure his user area is restricted like hell, basically it's just a huge storage space for him - he can't even access the net from that account, only from my passworded account.

Plugging in the wrong ipod wouldn't ever happen because you couldn't possible be think enough to use the wrong user area by accident, but if it did connect it wouldn't automatically throw thousands of tunes you don't want to hear onto your pod. It would just ask you if you wanted to associate that ipod with that user area's itunes.