2 Internet Connections 1 PC

Knight Rider 1963

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to connect 2 internet connections to 1 PC?

One of the biggest reasons why I'm asking is that if I try to download a file, then the online gaming on either the Xbox and PS4 Pro will suffer.

So is it possible because I want to download on one connection and do online gaming on the other?

I forgot to add, I'll be having a phone line installed alongside the other phone line that was installed years ago.

First of all have you checked in your Router settings, that it has Qos so you can allocate a certain amount of bandwidth to each device?
I’m not sure windows 10 can handle two separate connections, as far as one downloading and the other gaming on one PC, You can combine two connections to improve the overall speed
if you wanted 2 separate connections you would need 2 contracts, two lines coming into the property, two line rentals, two routers etc. if you wanted WiFi make sure the WiFi channels are separated a good deal apart to avoid interference, you could then have each device connect to a different network.

It would be more cost effective to pay to simply have a faster internet connection, get a better router where you can allocate bandwidth to each device.

Last edited:
Why do you need them set up on one PC?

From what you're describing I would set up the Xbox/PS4 on one network and the PC on another. Or get a faster single connection!

Last edited:
I have two internet connections here so I can give you the full low down. (I'm also a Network Engineer by trade). The problem with connecting two internet circuits just simply to one PC is that you will have to have software that can divert connections across each link. Windows by its own will not do it.

You can have some ISPs perform something called Bonding - where you pay for two connections but, logically works as a single one to all your devices.

What I do, because my ISP connections are from two different suppliers is use pfSense as my router. pfSense is basically open source firewall software that is very powerful. I connect both ISPs to that and within pfSense I can then choose which computers can use ISP 1 or ISP 2 or in some limited cases - both. This is advantageous where I'm using SFTP to download where it can make 10 connections at once for example. 5 go one way, 5 go the other.

It's also setup such that if my primary link goes down, all traffic is then sent over the isp2 connection, irrespective of all other rules setup.

Why do you need them set up on one PC?

From what you're describing I would set up the Xbox/PS4 on one network and the PC on another. Or get a faster single connection!

Because once I start downloading, the online gaming on the Xbox/PS4 Pro starts to suffer.

A faster single connection will not solve both issues.

Because once I start downloading, the online gaming on the Xbox/PS4 Pro starts to suffer.

A faster single connection will not solve both issues.
If you had a router that has Qos (quality of service) you can allocate bandwidth resources so that one device doesn't hog the whole lot. A faster connection would help to reduce the impact and be much more cost effective than buying two lines, two routers etc etc

Download what must be monster files overnight when you stop gaming. As above you must be doing some serious downloading? What is it, Films?

If you had a router that has Qos (quality of service) you can allocate bandwidth resources so that one device doesn't hog the whole lot. A faster connection would help to reduce the impact and be much more cost effective than buying two lines, two routers etc etc

This would be the better option than paying another £50 a month for a second line and second internet connection.

Is there a law that says you can't have more than 1 active phone line?

I was speaking to Sky earlier on about having another active phone line and they said that it's not possible.

Doesn't have to be with Sky. I have two different ISPs.

Well indeed, but I didn't know that was a factor in this scenario.

Yes but the second one doesn't work with a telephone. Broadband only. When I had the second installed - my already existing telephone socket had 2 pairs of wires, they simply use the second pair to provide a service on it.

Is there a law that says you can't have more than 1 active phone line?

No

It is if you've got a poor credit history.

Not sure what you mean by this in relevance to the law, second line and credit history.

Credit history is only relevant to your ability to pay and thus a service provider might want to check that before hand, however won’t be a requirement for openreach.

You can have as many phone lines as you want,
  1. If you pay an installation fee per line was around 120 last time I looked
  2. Have a provider that will allow multiple lines per property. Sky system might not do that.
  3. Each copper pair will allow you to have broadband and phone
As well as the qos mentioned earlier you might want to look at other options

Yes but the second one doesn't work with a telephone. Broadband only. When I had the second installed - my already existing telephone socket had 2 pairs of wires, they simply use the second pair to provide a service on it.

Where did you get a broadband only phone line?

No

Not sure what you mean by this in relevance to the law, second line and credit history.

Credit history is only relevant to your ability to pay and thus a service provider might want to check that before hand, however won’t be a requirement for openreach.

You can have as many phone lines as you want,
  1. If you pay an installation fee per line was around 120 last time I looked
  2. Have a provider that will allow multiple lines per property. Sky system might not do that.
  3. Each copper pair will allow you to have broadband and phone
As well as the qos mentioned earlier you might want to look at other options

Some of the broadband providers do a credit check.

The qos as mentioned above will not work, why?

Because the online gaming that someone else is playing suffers from disconnection, every now and then, even though I am not downloading anything.

If you are getting disconnects on your online gaming then something else is wrong.

Having two Internet connections is not going to solve that issue as even if you get a dual WAN router you will lose connection whilst it switches over. It also might take some time to figure out one has dropped before sending the traffic across. Either way you will get a different external ip address as well as disconnects.

Consider setting up a broadband quality monitor from think broadband to see when you router disconnects.

Because the online gaming that someone else is playing suffers from disconnection, every now and then, even though I am not downloading anything.

There is something wrong with your existing connection if online gaming is being disconnected even with no downloads. I'd look into curing this before considering spending another £50 a month on a second connection.

Just to add Vodafone and virgin do phone less broadband.

However you need to get your issue fixed as both @Greg Hook and myself have stated.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom