1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 hour old Toshiba Geometry problem noticed - please advise

Discussion in 'TVs' started by chrisjoanne, Oct 17, 2003.

1. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having already sent back a duff Panny I have now purchased a Toshiba 32ZP38.
    All looks well with the set except the geometry.
    I have noticed a tilt from right to left - very slight but still there. You can see it more when you change channels via sky and the channel information shows for 5 seconds or so.
    So, what do I do?
    Is it a phone call to Robertsons or can this problem be retified by the service menu?
    I can't understand why they have put an option on the 36" to fiddle about with the geomagnetic settings but not on the 32"

Very odd.

Any help appreciated as usual.

Chris

2. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Unfortunately there is nowt you can do in the service menu to correct it.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Sounds as if the tube geometry is off a little,and will need a trip to the service man....TV's often have small but noticeable levels of misalignment,and it depends on how much of a nuisance it is....since you can easily notice it,the store should either replace it or fix it.

4. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just rang Robertsons and got a booking for an engineer to come out. Services had said it may be possible to fix this under the engineers services menu (?) - we'll see.
    If this can be fixed I think I've got one stunning Tv.

5. bondy

bondy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had my 36ZP38 for a week now - fantastic. Cannot fault it.

6. SuperCow

SuperCow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly the same problem as you, a slight tilt from right to left (about 1cm difference between the two sides of the screen). I had an engineer calling and he fixed it by opening the set and rotating the tube. They also need a "special tool" from Toshiba to do this (meant I had to wait about 10 days for the damn thing to be delivered to them so that he could fix the problem).

It is correct this particular problem cannot be fixed with the service menu. When I contacted Toshiba customer services they told me this was due to the earth geomagnetic field etc. but the engineer pointed out tubes are sometimes misaligned and this was a perfect example of this.

Other problems you might notice after a while are: faint buzzing sound, green trails on moving objects in front of a black background (end credits are great to notice this!), and poor alignment issues in some modes (e.g. 14:9). Despite these this is a great TV with awesome image quality.

7. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for the reply Supercow.
    I've had Robertsons on the phone today to say they are going to do a straight exchange for an identical Tv.
    Mine is going to go into the work shop - I take it someone else will get it in the near future.
    Now I know what I'm looking for I'll take a good long look before the delivery bloke drives off.

8. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi chrisjoanne M8,

I had a look at the PF2 when I was doing the PD30/PF2 rounds and it to had the dodgy geometry. So you decided to stick with the PF2 then? Are you happy know? I still have the PD30 with the poor purity and have been offered a refund. I'm realy not sure what to do now.

Bazza

9. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Bazzae

The quality of the Toshiba picture will be hard to beat IMHO.
    There is no digital defects etc. Its quite astonishing actually. Totally different class to the Pany.

I've got my fingers crossed that the next Toshiba I get will have the geometry corrected.

Cheers.