1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 for the price of 1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by FunkyMonkey, Mar 10, 2003.

1. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I am able to get a 5.1 speaker set from a local outlet rather cheap. Drawback is that is flimsy sounding, although not bad.

My amp outputs supposed 100W per channel, so I was wondering whether it's feasible to get 2 of these sets and hooking them up to the amp? If so, would I do it in series or parallel?

Does htis sound foolish or has it/can it be done?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    It can be done providing the amp will provide sufficient drive current into the lower impedance load offered by running 2 sets in parallel.
    Being honest,if you can afford 2 sets of these,and they are as flimsy as you say,why not look at something costing twice as much as one set,which may be substantially better.
    Also,don't forget ex-dem and used speakers,many of which can be excellent value.

3. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Alexs2, Thanks for the advice.

These are NXT speakers. To replace satisfactory box speakers. To satisfy missus and protect from kids!

Another question, please as you seem to know your stuff....

I have 5.1 amp. Is it possible to connect 3 (NXT) speakers to service 2 rear channels - I'm thinking the middle rear can share the signal from the 2 rear channels. If this is possible, how woudl I connect the circuit please?

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hi there....I assume you mean something along the lines of the Mission FS2 or similar,which are actually quite decent little speakers although obviously bass limited.

Do NOT connect a 3rd speaker across the 2 rear channels of your amp....at best you'll get a sort of difference signal produced by the relative differences in level between the left and right rear channels,and at worst you may well destroy the output stages of your amp,if it's unstable into that sort of load.

Even if it does work,it will likely interfere with the sound imaging from the rear of your system.

5. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Yes, it was a silly suggestion. Reason I asked it was because I intend to keep my centre speaker as it sits on telly so isn't an eye-sore or an obstacle in any way. Therefore, I'll have one NXT speaker going spare. I suppose I can save it for the future.

I'm ashamed to say the NXT pack is NOT an FS2_AV or indeed the Denon set, but a poor imitation - the Arc Sonare. What it lacks in oomph, it makes up for in looks and value for money - £45 (RRP £299, so they're well below price - clearance sale, and I guess they weren't as popular as the decent sets). I haven't put it on special offers cos it is to MINE. All MINE, you hear?:devil: :D