2 displays

rab4169

Standard Member
Reaction score
i have a new projector in a home cinema room it has vga input , the room next door is a study with a pc . i am going to run an optical cable to the cinema room to my amp and also a vga cable from my pc in the study to the projector next door,
what is the best way to have the two displays running , do i get a £3 vga splitter or will i need a new graphics card with 2 vga outputs , if so what card . it won`t be needed for gaming.

thanks

robert

What graphics card do you have?

You can guy relatively cheap graphics cards that have dual VGA or one VGA and one DVI. That would do the job.

Getting a splitter with long cable lengths 'may' affect the quality of the screen. I have not tested this out as I have never split a vga in to two and used cable lengths.

Koing

thanks
tried my card (mx440) and my new athlon 2500 barton but got jerky hi def picture , probably the card so am now looking at a 9600 with 2 outputs that seem to get good reviews in the forum

it is MORE likely your pc setup.

The Athlon 2500 barton is a good chip BUT HD clips off the net WILL LAG (get choopy frame rates) on all but the most top spec pc systems.

I'm a pc guy so I know about it.

list the specs of your pc.

How much ram? Get at least 1024mb.

At the moment not many cards will help with the HD clips. It is mostly the cpu at work so you will need a fast one with 1024mb of ram.

The GF mx440 is seriously under powered.

9600 Pro IS A GOOD GRAPHICS CARD.

Koing

have a barton 2500 running at normal speed but could try overclocking a bit,512 kingston 333 ram ,mx 440.

should i go for a 9600 or a 9600 pro as i want dual output for projector and monitor

thanks

robert

Up the ram to 1024mb and OC your cpu a bit. Every bit of extra performance helpsl :)

I would THOROUGHLY recommend this:

Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI - Lite Retail

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/9700_to_9800_Series.html

9800 Pro.

DO NOT GET the ones with 128bit memory interfaces. 256bit memory interfaces. Quite a lot faster thent he 9600 Pro.

How much do you want to spend?

Koing

spend as little as possible but if needbe £100, do some have hardware acceleration for hi def. some of the other forums seem to say a 128 bit 9600 should be ok for the pc , anything over 9600 is a waste of money, can get 9600 for£40 and a 9600 pro for £50.

thanks

I see.

Get the 9600Pro. MAKE sure it is not a 'cheaper' version as it is VERY CRIPPLED!

The next gen or the one after will do more hardware video acceleration.

Koing

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom