2 devices runnig from talktalk router?

Goldfiinger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm having problems getting two devices (ps3 & pc) running from my broadband at the same time.

I'm with Talktalk and have their SmartAX router.

I recently bought a fast ethernet switch box from ebay thinking this would enable me to plug my ethernet cable from router to switch box then feed two ethernet cables out, one to each device.

Done it but it didnt work..

So basically how do i get broadband to both my Ps3 and PC using the talktalk router (SmartAX) shown below??

I also have an old orange/wanadoo router which i know would let me connect and run two ethernet connections. However i don't think i can get it working whilst being with talktalk and not orange? Any ideas if that would be possible and if so how?

Anyway advice please?

PS: Would like both connections to be wired not wireless. Thanks.

http://www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/images/tt-router1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never used one of these, never even seen one until now tbh :)

But, reading the manual, it looks as if you have to enable the DHCP and NAT functions via the web interface, rather than have them enabled by default which is more usual. Have you done this?

Which switch have you bought?

Last edited:
Nope i haven't done that to be honest i wouldn't have the faintest idea where the web interface was ie. the url etc.

The switch I've got is a '5-port fast ethernet switch'

thats kinda all it says other than 10/100M

Again this doesn't mean to much to me. :suicide:

Alternatively I've got one of these I could use.

http://www.lindendesign.co.uk/images/orange_livebox.gif

However I'm not to sure how i'd set it up, you think you maybe able to advise me on that, as i'm thinking the live box maybe a better long term solution as it is wireless compatible, should i ever want to go down that route.

what do u think?

many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I can tell from Googling the livebox is locked to Orange and is a pain to unlock, if it can be done at all.

If you don't want to persevere with your existing modem and try to get that working, you could look around for a Netgear DG834G which is a cracking little wireless router, will work with Talk Talk and can be bought new for around £50 but you may be able to get one cheaper on Ebay if you're willing to take the risk.

think i'll try and get what i've got working.

if i get the settings right should the switch box do what i'm expecting and let me get broadband on the pc and ps3 at the same time?

how do i get access to the web interface, i'm assuming i need to contact talktalk for details?

Last edited:
Many thanks I'll check that link out and let you know how i get on.

Any ideas the setting i should try?

NAT is currently set to DMZ and DHCP is set to DHCP server.

Last edited:
DHCP and NAT sound about right.

The modem connection settings are all listed here.

Reading the manual a little more fully ( bit more time than over the weekend :) ) it says to use a crossover cable to connect to a switch or hub, are you using a crossover cable or a normal straight through cable?.

One other thing you can also apparently do is to connect one device to the USB port ( say your PC ) and another device to the ethernet port simultaneously. I just found that from a quick Google.

Last edited:
Yeah i thought about doing that but had assumed the USB connection would be no where near as quick as the ethernet.

I'll get a crossover cable at the moment I'm assuming I've just got a standard length of Ethernet cable. Not sure the difference myself but will try.

Thanks!

Cross over cable doesnt seem to make any difference anyone have any idea where i maybe going wrong?

Or a very cheap router that would definitely work with both devices wired at the same time?

you can pick up something reliable that works for about £30 off ebay - like a netgear DG834G :smashin:

Great picked a second hand one up for £22.00 off ebay , came today, he'll be getting 5 stars for delivery.

Set it up but cant connect , guess i need to change some settings?

Can anyone advise how i get this working?

My ps3 said it could find the IP but then failed to connect any suggestions?

Sorry to be a newbie but i dont even know how to run the setup wizard, no disk/software came with it?

No worries.

Go here select the model of your router and it'll take you to a page with downloads. The user manuals should be in there somewhere.

Did you get the DG834G in the end?

Yeah thats the model we got, cant work out for the life of me what we're doing wrong.

All the lights are green which is good but cant connect to the net with it.

admin log on/password wont let us log on to the setup page at http://192.168.0.1/ Authorization warning comes up saying we've failed and are not allowed ?

Do we need a disk?

Sounds like you need to to a factory reset on the router, which is probably not a bad idea as it's been used before.

Try this procedure ( copied from netgear KB pages ).

Press the reset button on the back until the test light blinks. This takes about 10 seconds. (To avoid accidental resets, the small button is recessed. Use a pen or paperclip to access it.)
Release the button.
Wait for the router to reboot.

If the router was not cleared, try these additional steps AFTER the router has finished rebooting.
Unplug the router's power.
Press and hold the reset button. While the button is held down, reconnect router's power.
Continue to hold the reset button for 20 seconds after reconnecting the power.
Wait for the router to reboot.

Once you're logged in and setup it's good practice to change the router password, but get it going first and then you can do that :thumbsup:

Still getting --

System Authentication Failed.

Please contact your system administrator for the correct information.

When i try to log into to http://192.168.0.1/

Have tried both options of factory reset, makes no difference.

Could it be something to do with talktalk or that i haven't got a set up CD?

Running out of ideas, i thought this was meant to be a simple solution lol

Help please! :lease:

Would i need to change any of my current router settings @ 192.168.1.1 before i attempt the change over?

Last edited:
OMG no been using admin for both user name and password!

I'll try again! lol

OMG no been using admin for both user name and password!

I'll try again! lol

I use this router with talktalk and all you do is what has already been explained and then when you are logged into the router just click on setup wizard in the top left and follow the instructions :thumbsup: couldn't be easier :smashin:

Assuming this is working now, if you aren't going to be using the wireless I'd advise disabling it from the Router menu. It's under "Wireless Settings" untick "Enable Wireless Access Point" ,.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom