1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 channel v DTS bass

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jonathan, Sep 11, 2003.

1. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run a reasonably high end system: Separate pre/power amp, KEF reference floorstanders, 2 x KEF 30B subs, Yamaha DSPE 800 processor. Viewing is all live rock concerts/music DVD with the volume well up. Can anyone tell me why when watching in 2 channel stereo I can hear the bass to an optimum level - not overpowering, but seamless in the rest of the sound & can feel a lovely rumble through the floorboards. Switch to DTS or DD though & the bass seems to disappear/get lost, so much so that I end up changing back to stereo. Any ideas as to the problem?

2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The following are possible explanations but they are reaching :

1, Subs hooked up to the processor at high level, this would in effect make the subs as part of the 2 fronts, if the processor's speaker setting was then set to small the sub's would die off at about 80Hz during DTS/DD.

2, Speakers set to small and the sub set to "Off"

3, Speakers set to Large and the sub set to "Off"

4, My old Yamaha amp had LFE settings for DD/DTS, if these aren't set high enough you'll get a weaker bass performance during DD/DTS.

5, Subs not switched on.................Ok I was kidding with that one :devil:

All the above assume you're new to this game so apologies if you are not :kisses:

3. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.
    Have already checked through the settings and all appeared to be OK. I have been wondering whether it could possibly be anything to do with my DVD player (Tosh 210E) which compared to the rest of my system is the weakest link, although I would have thought that the bass would be found wanting on both 2 channel & DD/DTS if that were the case. The bass is definitely tighter & more punchy on stereo, so much so that I don't usually bother with surround. Anybody else have the same problem?

4. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can you tell us what your bass management settings currently are?

Dunc

5. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Duncan
    I have the bass out setting to "both" & have messed about altering the LFE settings on DTS/DD on the DSPE800 but cannot hear any difference at all!

6. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hmm. How have you got your subs connected? Are they connected to the high-level speaker outs on the amp, rather than the low-level sub out? If so, you might want to try the other way 'round (though be sure to set the bass out to 'Sub only' in that case).

Also, there are two settings on the Yamaha that might affect the subwoofer output - one is the 'subwoofer' volume setting, which varies from -20dB to 0dB (I believe), and the other is the LFE setting (there is one for each of Dolby Digital and DTS). Make sure these aren't set too low.

Have you tried a calibration disc, such as Avia? That will let you know if you're really getting output from the subs or not.

Dunc

7. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are connected via the sub low level phonos. I have the setting at "both" as opposed to "SW" as when on SW the subs don't receive a signal when the input selector is switched to Cab/Sat for other sources, therefore leaving the bottom end sounding even more thin. I don't hear a discernable difference between the two settings via DVD anyway.
    I haven't tried an Avia disc, what is this and where would I be best advised to try to obtain one?