1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Channel Stereo Music (CD's)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by equinoxdreams, Nov 25, 2004.

1. equinoxdreams

equinoxdreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Being, somewhat dissapointed with the sound performance of the Denon 2910 (which I'll use strictly for DVD's & SACD) - I was looking to buy a NAD C542 CD PLAYER for a dedicated solution for 2-channel stereo CD's.

I have a Yamaha 1500 receiver (which sounds pretty amazing when playing music DVD's) - but would the NAD C542 sound amazing through this receiver, or would it be better to by a seperate amplifier, say a NAD C320BEE.

I'm begining to realise you can't make one device be the master of everything.

So the question is - is this a good CD player to purchase and if so, will it sound as good through my Yamaha 1500 receiver than it would do through a dedictated NAD C320BEE amplifier?

Thank you so much,

Phil.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have the older 1400 and I am very happy with the stereo performance of it. It wont match the output of a dedicated stereo amp of the same price. If you get a stereo amp you have to get more cables, use more room and then set it all up to work . If you really have the moeny burning a hole in your pocket I woulld recommend finding a second hand Rotel/Arcam power amp and bi-amping your front speakers if you can, makes a huge difference.:D

I also had the 541i whch was a good cdp. I would recommend the old Arcam alpha 5/+ instead of the nad. They can be had for approx £100 on ebay and stomp all over the 541i as they may be old but they where £500 players when released. Also they can be upgraded by Avondale
    http://www.avondaleaudio.com/
    To one hell of a stonking cdp. (my next move)
    :devil:

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Most likely not. A friend and myself tried his Marantz CD-63MkII KiSig connected to my Yamaha DSP-A1 in direct comparision to my Yamaha DVD-S700. The only difference we could hear was with female voices on audiophile recordings, thus I concluded a dedicated CDP won't bring much of a benefit when using an AV amp.
    My friend, more the audiophile than AV fan, missed some warmth in the sound but complimented my amp on it's power.

That said I am personally happy with the stereo sound but I am by no means an audiophile. Some call my amp bright, for me it's neutral (sh.. in, sh.. out).

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    You could look to adding a DAC, keeping the DVD player and adding a power amp? And as suggested drive your fronts seperately. This would certainly offer an improvement.
    Whether it would be poosible on your budget I don't know.
    If your interested look at the CD transport section of this forum and do a search on DAC.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Keep in mind that most AV amps/receivers do an AD conversion of analog inputs (for DSP, bass management etc.), so no matter how good the DAC in the CDP or how good the external DAC you are using - the limit will be set by the AV amp/receiver and the signal undergoes 3 conversions then.

6. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the Yamaha 1500 has a "direct audio" feature (on my receiver--Integra--it's called "Pure Audio", on other brands the name varies) which bypasses all DSP and A/D/A conversions. I use this feature on my receiver as my Cambridge 540D allows me to set it for 2.1 use, keeping my sub active while applying BM ahead of any D/A conversion. (one of the reasons I bought it)

7. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Phil this probably isn't the most helpful of comments, but I am in the process of testing an Arcam DV79 which is fantastic for CDs. The difference when running them via (what I thought were) old phono connections is nothing short of phenomenal! :thumbsup:

Not sure what connectors you have on your kit but, if available, use the phono connections. Digital optical and coaxial connectiosn remove the depth from the sound.

Hope this is helpful....

Richard