Question 2 Channel Performance

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mr Yakimoto, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Mr Yakimoto

Mr Yakimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any experience with either of the following? Im looking to match or surpass the 2 channel performance of my aging but still going strong av32r dp:

Anthem AVM60
    Classe Sigma SSP MkII

I would probably still use the dvdflr as a transport for cd playback so the dac is important. The Anthem interests me as it has v good room correction also

Any thoughts or knowledge? Any other recommendations that dont go beyond £5k? Although their looks arent that great, high end Emotiva processors are getting great reviews

I thank you in advance

Bill

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  2. orange55

orange55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    Yes. I have recently tried the avm60 at home for a week. I have a AV192r which has recently been serviced which improved the power supply.

The Anthem room correction is very good although a different sound from the Tag sound as it corrects the sound and your speakers.

I would highly recommend you listen to an Anthem at home. The MRX720 or upwards sound very similar to the avm60, as the 720 will be easier to get a demo unit of.

I started with a £5k budget and the Anthem was the best sound for the money. I didn’t listen directly to the classe but did get advise on how it compares from the installer I am using for our cinema upgrade.

In the end I selected the Lyngdorf MP-50 as a replacement for my AV192r as it gave me the 2 channel sound I was after.

Hope that helps. If you want a referral for getting a demo and a good price Let me know.

3. Mr Yakimoto

Mr Yakimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Cheers O,

Wow, just looked up the Lyngdorf and it's quite a bit more. Amazing reviews though. If only it was in my price range.

So by the sounds of it, the Anthem is probably my best bet. Im just hoping it is of audiophile quality and not a "very good mid-fi". Would it be a step backwards? What didn't you like it it compared to your 192? (I presume the 32dp sounds v similar to the 192?)

ARC sounds interesting if you say it works differently to the tag room eq.

Fyi, I do have an Anthem A5 power amp and KEF Reference 1 speakers.

I'll see if I can get a demo

4. orange55

orange55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    Ok based on that I would recommend a different approach.

One of these for the fronts and subs TDAI-2170 | Lyngdorf Audio and then a Marantz AV receiver to give you the rest of the surround channels.

The roomperfect eq comes as standard and it better than the Anthem room eq in my opinion. It’s the same as in the Lyngdorf mp-50 and will give you the level of sound you are after. I have heard it and it’s better than the Tag and Anthem for 2 channel.

If you speak to Rich at seriouslycinema who are a advertiser here, he gives a 10% discount to AVForums members.

He will be able to explain how to use the two products and come in within your budget. He’s a great guy and really knows his stuff. Mentioned I referrer you also. ;-)

Good luck.

5. Mr Yakimoto

Mr Yakimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Thank you for your advice. I will give this some serious thought.

Merry Christmas

Bill