2 channel / ht setup

T

tmcevoy

My system currently comprises of
Helios 1 cd player (similar in quality to a Wadia)
Magnum Dynalab FT101A tuner
Canary Audio CA 608 integrated amp
Denon 2900 DVD player
Living Voice Avatar OBX speakers

I have bought a pair of Proac 1SC for the rears
and two Monarchy Audio SM70 Pro to power the rear speakers in monoblock mode ( when i get a Proac CCTwo centre channel I will use one of the Monarchy Audios to run both rear speakers)

To tie the system in together I have ordered a Bryston SP1.7 processor

My question is if anyone has a similar setup is it best to connect the CD player and tuner directly to the integrated amp rather than through the Bryston. Then just connect the DVd and Sky+ through the Bryston . If I do it this way will I have a problem with the volume controls.

Any help with this would be much appreciated
Thanks a lot
Tony

I dont have such a hi end AV processor, but I would recommend connecting the CD player directly to the integrated stereo amp. It may be that the Bryston has an analogue bypass tho.

Can your stereo amp can be switched into power amp mode when fed the AV signal? If so, that would solve the volume control problem for AV. Otherwise, you will have to use the pre-amp/volume in the integrated as well as the Bryston - usually solved as a cludge by putting the volume to 12 o'clock and calibrating/using the Bryston vol control.

hth

The Bryston does have an analogue bypass , I'm thinking if I put everything through the bryston then I can set the volume on the power amp and leave it . I can then use the volume control on the Bryston for all sources. My concern is that there may be a drop in audio quality.

Hi Tony,

I use a Bryston SP1.7,2 x 7B SST,1 x 6B SST with a Marantz CD7 CD Player and B&W Nautilus 800/803/HTM1 speakers.

I haven't heard a processor that beats the SP1.7 in bypass mode. Definately set the volume on your power amp and run everything through the processor.

I tried the other method when I had an integrated amp and it was a right pain and didn't sound any better.

Gazza
Do you have a dedicated centre channel . I have found that the only centre channel that matches my OBX-R's is the Proac CCTwo but havent bought it yet because of problems placing it. I have a Loewe Articos as my screen and theres no nowhere to put it without sending my wife over the edge.
I am hoping that the SP1.7 will be ok with just 4 speakers otherwise I am going to have to move the whole sitting room around.
Tony

I use a HTM1 centre speaker, which is quite a large speaker. Although it is from the Nautilus range it does not match the N800s and ruins the front soundstage.

Eventually I plan to get a third N800 to solve this problem but am about to buy a new Pioneer 50MXE-1 Plasma and a Lumagen scaler.

I tried using the N800s without the centre channel on PLII and it worked quite well. I think this will depend on the soundstage your speakers create.

Hi
Well the Avatar OBX-r's create a very good soundstage , did you try it with 5.1 with no centre speaker
Tony

did you try it with 5.1 with no centre speaker

I will try this tonight and let you know.

Thanks very much , I have all my Hi-Fi system on a dedicated isolation rack. Do you think its important to have the Bryston on a similar rack as well
Tony

Do you think its important to have the Bryston on a similar rack as well

I think it important to have your cd player, dvd player and amps on a rack. The processor won't benefit to the same degree although I have my SP1.7 on the rack.

I have my three power amps and centre speaker under my Pioneer 503MXE. My main rack is about 15' away at the side of the room. This keeps the amps close to the speakers and the screen at the correct viewing height.

Hi
I think I am going to have to get another equipment rack and find a cabinet to house them before my living room looks like a hifi shop ( wife running out of patience)
Thanks for all the feedback
Tony

did you try it with 5.1 with no centre speaker

Tony,

I tried this last night and it didn't sound too bad. Voices still appear to come from the centre of the screen. Turning on the centre certainly improves things but then I notice the tonal mismatch.

Hi
Thanks a lot for testing that
It feels like I can get away without a centre speaker for now.
If I get a projec tor like I eventually want to then I can look at a centre channel (living room without blackout curtains so may have to wait for a state of the art projector).
Did you find you missed much of the action without the centre channel or was it just a lack of clarity
Thanks again for checking it out
All the best
Tony

There was no information missing, just effects became more obvious without the centre.

I would agree that you should get your PJ and then add the centre later.

I was checking out pjs recently but am waiting until I can afford to convert the basement. I just couldn't put up with the drop in contrast with ambient light.

So I'm ordering another plasma for now.

Let me know how you get on with the SP1.7 when it arrives.

Gazza

Gazza
Will do , thanks for al the help
Which plasma are you going to go for
All the best
Tony

Hi,
I'm in a similar boat to both of you. I do use a centre speaker, a Ruark Dialogue, which is set to small. This seems pretty seamless with my Auditoriums, and is a reasonably small box which fits on the rack under the TV. I find this to focus dialogue better than using just 4 speakers.
I also have a room with a lot of ambient light. One wall is 30ft of glass doors with blinds ( which only partially take out the light).
Nevertheless, I find I can happily watch my PJ in most light conditions. The Infocus may be slightly second to the Sim on quality ( not that I notice once a film starts, I am totally immersed in the image), but it really scores on brightness of image.
Let me know how you get on with the Bryston.
Regards
Peter

Hi Peter
It should arrive in the next 10 days so will do
The problem I have with the centre speaker is that it sits on the loewe motorised stand so no room for the centre speaker
Thats why I'm thinking about getting a projector. I think if I get a very good screen then ambient light should be ok
It will obviously never be as good as a dedicated blackout room
but for domestic harmony it has to fit in with the rest of the sitting room
All the best
Tony

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom