1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Channel DVDA connections

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by gchaplin, May 14, 2004.

1. gchaplin

gchaplin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have a Toshiba 520 and recently bought my first DVDA. After much faffing with the players settings I can listen to it in 5.1DD or DTS via it's digital out.

I realise that to listen to the DVDA high resolution stuff on the disc (this one has a stereo and 5.1 mix) I have to use the 6 channel output of my dvd player and plug it into my 6 channel input on my Denon AV1801 (which apparently suitable for DVDA inputs).

I have 2 questions: If I choose to listen to the stereo 24bit 192khz stuff will this go though the left and right jacks of the multi 6ch out on the dvd player?? or do I have to use the 2 channel pcm outputs? Obviously I don't need to be swapping connects about. (sorry if this is a stupid question!) - There are no instructions with my dvd player to tell me.

and secondly, can somebody recommend a decent (not too expensive) 6ch interconnect.

Cheers

G

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Correct so far.

Yep Front Left & Right of the 6C output will handle the stereo content from the 192Khz DACs, exact same thing happens in SACD playback also FWIW (SACD stereo that is)

http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/dept.asp?dept_id=202

3 X PHONO (RCA) 3 X PHONO (RCA)
    Order Code:- SSYUV 2x £26 - £52

or

http://www.shopfox.co.uk/hi-fi/281.htm Ixos 104s @ £18 x 3 - £54

or

http://www.bestpricetv.com/Profigold_PGA4201___12_50.html

Profigoild PGA4201 £12.50 x 3 : £37.50

Don’t go overboard on IC cables FWIW (far better on getting the best boxes you can than wortying about cables)

HTHs

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
  4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    I would tend to disagree slightly on that subject. When it comes to dealing with even higher resolution analogue signals than those from cd then surely that is all the more reason to use higher quality cables in order not to diminish the benefits of the higher bandwidth audio. I currently use 3x black Rhodium Rhythm interconnectsfrom my DV89 which at £45 each I would not regard as overkill. You wouldn't scrimp on interconnects for a decent CD player, why budget on cables from a potentially even higher quality source?

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hey Crusty I guess its the cable sceptic in me that thinks a £300 DVDA player like the Tosh 520 should not have much more spent on it in cabling terms than £30-50 in total and that includes 3 outputs, Your DV89 IIRC retails at over £1000 so 3 x £45 is not overboard in relation to the players cost, I think 10% of a component at maximum, Ive seen plenty of brainswashed audio fans with £100 ICs on £300 CDPs thinking its made a huge difference. When you get a cable on a source at a 1/4 or a 1/3 of the price well to me that daft.

Not sure I agree that with you that because its SACD or DVDA that it deserves a "better" IC than CD or Vinyl TBPH because of higher bandwidth signals a properly shielded cable will not lose any transmission properties AFAICT have you seen data to suggest otherwise, FWIW Ive tested loads of cables and when I cant see what they are they all sound the same, in fact I bought some of those Prolink £8.50 ICs last night (@4.45pm arrived 10am this morning now thats the quickest service Ive ever known) for a second system, for a test I hooked them up to my phono stage and amp and guess what it sounded the exact same as earlier when using £15 Ixos 104s, tonight I swapped out those £15 IC and placed a £30 Chord Calypso and guess what - sounded no different to the £15 or the £8.50 ICs. So Crusty we are at different levels of belief, much better spending ones pennies on the components first than worrying endlessly on cabling paranoia IMHO.

Those little £8.50 ICs (for 0.5m BTW a little con on the website that says 1.0m FWIW) have proven that to me anyway. And I have went to crazy lengths with DIY ICs pure silver with Silver plated Audusa Locking RCAs that sound no different to the cables above, Im not even gonna try a head to head with the £8.50 cable - there is no point, blind I cant tell the difference. I wish any other cable believers would do the same TBH.

ATB & hope your doing well old boy.

6. europop1978

europop1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would that be better than using the main 2ch PCM outputs?

7. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some players will not output hi-res signals through the two channel analogue outputs that one would normally use for regular stereo DVD if no digital connection was possible. In those cases, you have to use the front L/R outputs of the multichannel section of the player. Conversely, some players will NOT output 2 channel from the multichannel outputs. If you plug just the L/R, all you'll get are the discrete signals from the multichannel mix. I really wish there was a standard for the hi-res outputs. Would avoid a lot of confusion. :mad:

8. europop1978

europop1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah I see. Do you know which category the Pioneer DV565A falls into?

9. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Ovation Ive always been led to believe that DVD-A’s stereo output from the 192Khz DACs for hi-res stereo only ever goes via the Front L&R outputs of the 6ch outs, ie the only DVD-A (content) output on universal or DVD-A players can go via these 6ch anlg outputs (different for CD or DVD-V of course), first Ive heard of the normal 2PCM anlg outputs being able to do so, SACD though as it offers a “discrete” stereo mix of every SACD, these IIRC can be played via a 2Ch anlg output set (happy to be corrected otherwise). Quite interesting though only the stereo side of these hi-rez players interests me so any info you have would be great dude, what players do you now of that offer this facility ie 192Khz output out of “normal” 2 anlg ouputs and not the 6ch MC ones ?

It’s a mute point of course considering the amount of 192Khz stereo DVD-A mixes about but interesting none the less.

10. gchaplin

gchaplin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    This innocent question has surely caused an interesting debate!!

I will connect my system up as you good poeple have suggested now, using all the 6ch in/outputs for my 2 and 6ch listening. It's just a shame that the info supplied with the dvd player is so useless wrt this subject.

I hope more and more dvda stuff gets released as the5.1 mixes have impressed compared to the cd version (at least on some tracks).

Cheers
    G

11. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only player I know of that outputs 2 channel full bandwidth DVD-A in stereo through two channel rca outputs (as distinct from the m/c outputs) is the Teac Esoteric DV-50 universal player (US$ retail, 5500--and no, I don't own one. I read a review of it in a magazine.) I'm pretty sure I've read about other players that do this, some of them only with SACD, some with both, some not at all, even with SACD. It's the lack of consistency that bugs me. I should think that it wouldn't be all that difficult to allow the 2 channel rca outputs of a player to carry hi-res stereo info. It would be a small but effective gesture to the two channel devotees out there and couldn't possibly cost more than 5$ in parts/labour. IMO

p.s. If you're a Neil Young fan, a significant portion of his catalogue is being re-issued in two-channel 192khz DVD-A with no m/c mix available. Maybe others will be following this trend.

12. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    The Arcam DVD-A players, DV79, DV89 and DV27A have all got additional stereo outputs on top of the 6 Channel outputs. This allows me to connect the Multi Channel outputs on my DV89 to the AX3 for Multi Channel Audio and also have the additional stereo outputs connected directly to the A308 stereo amp for high resolution stereo replay.