1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Channel Discete Sound From A 5.1 Channel Amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by retty2004, Jun 3, 2004.

1. retty2004

retty2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: HEY PEEPS, JUST LOOKING TO UPGRADE MY STEREO AMP, I HAVE A PAIR OF MISSION M35 FLOORSTANDERS AND I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO GET A 5.1 RECIEVER TO SAVE SPACE, BUT IM TRYING TO FIND OUT IF A 5.1 RECIEVER CAN PLAY 2 CHANNEL STEREO WITH JUST AS GOOD BASS AS MY STEREO AMP CAN, WITHOUT THE NEED FOR A SUB, AS MY FLOORSTANDERS ARE PERFECTLY CAPABLE FOR SUBSTITUTING A WOOFER. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!! NOBODY CAN SEEM TO GIVE ME AN ANSWERS. CHEERS :thumbsup: :confused:

2. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I believe most 5.1 receivers allow you the option to send the low frequency effects to the speakers instead of the sub if you want to (my Denon does, at least, although I haven't used the facility).

You could try popping into a local hifi shop and having a look through the setup details. Alternatively, some manufacturers have the manuals on their web sites (Yamaha do, I think), so you could download these and have a read for yourself to make sure it does what you want.

You may notice a difference in the performance of a 5.1 receiver versus your stereo one though, as the common consenus seems to be that 5.1 receivers can't match stereo receivers for stereo performance. Depends how into your hi-fi you are :)

Balders.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Just make sure you buy a receiver that has pre-outs so you can use your two channel amp in your av set up and have the best of both worlds. :clap: Most av amps are no match for integrated amps for stereo playback unless you buy a higher end receiver.
    I'd recomend you go listen to a designated subwoofer before you rule one out :p A good one will put your floorstanders to shame :blush:And they add the wow factor to most movie soundtracks and is a must for any av set up imo.

P.S Welcome to the forums :hiya: