2-channel conversion for DAV-S550?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by extremelydodgy, Nov 1, 2004.

1. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Can anyone tell me what would happen if I attached a more efficient full-range speaker to the Left and Right channels and left the rest of the speaker outputs disconnected?

What's bothering me about the S550 (which is my bedroom system wired to a fairly crappy large screen which replaced a 19" LCD... too small) is that with the included speakers, they have no sense of authority and booms out of the subs every chance they get to provide that. The problem is all of my watching / listening on the S550 is at low volumes and then the speakers are a mumbling mess, occasionally interrupted by the subs going 'mumbleboommumble'. And it being a bedroom system, I don't actually need 5.1. 2.0 would be perfectly OK.

As an alternative I'm looking into replacing the whole system, but this has two implications... if I go for separates, there's the cost and also the amount of room it'll take up. If I go for another all-in-one, who's to say the same thing won't happen again?

So I've arrived at the wizard wheeze to replace the left and right speakers with something nicer and more easily driven by the digital amp. So that's why I need an answer to my first posted question. Of particular interest is: what happens to the frequencies normally handled by the sub? Would they go to the L/R channels in any case if I select 2 channel mode for everything?