2 channel AV amp, is this a thing?

t103Ninja

Novice Member
Reaction score
hi, i currently have a roksan kandy KA-MKIII stereo amp and i love it for music but i have now started building my home theatre/gaming setup around it and have run into abit of a problem

the roksan amp only has analogue inputs and i have 6 HDMI devices obviously the roksan cant take HDMI and my kit doesnt have analogue audio outputs

i have no interest in surround sound and have had no luck finding a stereo AV amp, the idea i had to get around this was to run all my HDMI devices to the TV through an HDMI switch and then use optical out of my TV to a DAC wich will then feed the roksan amp

is this the best solution or are 2 channel AV amps actually a thing?

thanks

There are no stereo integrated amplifiers with HDMI inputs. There are however an increasing number of stereo integrated amplifiers with S/PDIF inputs and integral DACs. If only wanting to access 2 channel digital audio then this should be sufficient.

How about the Arcam AV250 or the Lyngdorf TDAI-2170? Both have an option for HDMI inputs and are stereo receivers focusing on good music performance.

Last edited:
Yeah the TDA1 can be used with a regular av receiver also and will pimp slap the Arcam.

thanks for the suggestions guys, im not really interested in buying a new amp unless its a stereo AV receiver wich doesnt really seem to exist as i already really like my roksan stereo amp and i dont see the point of buying a surround sound receiver when im never going to use surround sound

the TDA1 looks like a good option but only has 4 HDMI inputs wich isnt enough

would running an optical cable out of my TV into a DAC provide good sound or would the TV's own audio processing stuff get in the way?

The problem you're going to run in to, is that you're in the minority and companies are in the business of selling equipment to the masses.
While you're not going to use more than 2 channels, you're unlikey to find better value than a surround capable receiver.

I guess it would be worth looking at pre/power amps, though.

The TV is likely to do some processing, as many of them can't send bitstream down HDMI, let alone via optical.

thanks for the suggestions guys, im not really interested in buying a new amp unless its a stereo AV receiver wich doesnt really seem to exist as i already really like my roksan stereo amp and i dont see the point of buying a surround sound receiver when im never going to use surround sound

I recently bought a new Yamaha A/V receiver. I bought it for the HDMI inputs and its networking features. But as I only have two speakers I run it in stereo mode. It's designed for this.

There are stereo receivers with HDMI available from quite a few manufacturers, but most seem to be compromised in terms of their music performance. A good option for one that performs well is the Arcam AVR250 (SR250 - Integrated Amplifiers - Arcam) - it even does HDMI2.0a / HDCP2.2.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom