2 channel amp

hbkhalil

Hi There,
I have a demon AVR X3600 9 channel amp and 11 processors. I have a 5.2.4 set up and would like to expand to a 7.2.4. I am looking for a 2 channel amplifier to power up my front 2 speakers. Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you very much for your help.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
It depends upon your speakers and listening preferences really.

If you want to use the system as a stereo hifi and have high quality front speakers, than an integrated amplifier with HT bypass is probably your best bet, as you will be able to run stereo sources directly into the integrated and improve upon the fairly average performance with music that the Denon has a reputation for.

If however, you simply need to add channels in a true home cinema setup, a Behringer A500 or A800 amp will do very well. The A500 is a conventional Class AB amplifier while the A800 is Class D and slightly more powerful. Personally I prefer the sound of the A500, as I find it has a little more bass weight, but there's not a lot to choose between them. Both are convection cooled, so no fans.

There's plenty of more expensive hifi orientated power amps out there, so budget expectation would be useful here.

hbkhalil

Thank you very much for your response.
I just want to add two channels to my home theatre. The Behringer is fairly cheap however it is not esthetically pleasing :), I don't mind it but I am not sure I can have it on display haha.
I found the Marantz mm 7025 it looks better but much more expensive considering its output. Did you have a chance to listen to it? do you have any thoughts about it?
Thank you again for your help.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
That will certainly be a step up over your existing amplifier. Power output and cost are not necessarily linked and you are paying for a superior amplifier with the Marantz, it being a more hifi design.

For less money but a bit prettier try the Pro-ject. Nothing special or ground breaking, just a good quality power amp. Pro-Ject Amp Box DS2 Stereo Power Amplifier

hbkhalil

Thank you very much for your help.
Now that I have seen the price difference, in your opinion, it is worth getting the MM7055. will it make a big difference?

Thanks again for your help.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
It really does depend on the speakers and sources you are using.

Streaming music through a pair of £150 budget speakers, then really not worth spending the money, but if you want excellent stereo performance from high res sources through £1000 speakers, then pay the extra and get a decent integrated with HT bypass.

Power wise, 70W - 100W per channel will match the Denon, as it cannot supply 100W per channel with all channels driven. This gives you quite a lot of latitude in terms of what to get.

I don't want to put you off the Marantz, but unless you intend to upgrade the Denon at some point, you probably won't be getting the full potential of it and the Pro-ject or similar will work equally well.

hbkhalil

Ok, I have Qacoustic 3050i for the main the rest is 3090i and 3010i. Yes I am thinking of upgrading in the future to a separate processor and amp, but not sure which way to go.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom