1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 chan sterio 3802 or diva a85 no real improvment, i give up

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mick23, Aug 16, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just bought arcam diva a85, hoping to improve cd replay 2 chan sterio over my denon 3802, heard arcam 200 av in shop souded better for sterio than 3802, heard nad 370 and arcam diva a85 against one another (prefered sound of arcam over nad , disregarding cost differance) heard all of the above with simular cd player to myself, same interconnect, same speakers cdm1nts, at home linked up fronts to arcam +cd player played cds, cant notice any improvement in a85 over denon at all, getting totally (pis****) with what you hope is an improvment to no avail, thank you

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Mick, more info needed.

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sterio replay at home sounds dull ,compared with demos ive had, part of the problem is volume ie 2chan sterio -24 on denon or on arcam about -35 db at home is enough volume to listen to without being (overloud) so speakers are not really being (driven hard enough) tried at home 600s3+old m/short speakers all require less power to drive than nts ,but sterio is not really good weather its cd/md/or cassette playback

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Mick, at the moment I am trying to answer you on both your threads, can we use the other thread.

5. UZUBAIRU

UZUBAIRU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I bought an A85 today and the difference in CD music quality over my Denon 3801 was amazing.
    My CDs have been brought to life.
    I'm sorry that you have not been able to experience the same.
    Are you using a separate CD player ?

Umu

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    There is something a miss on mick's setup. Either you're wiring it incorrectly, or you're making an obvious mistake.

7. Bapapapa

Bapapapa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it transpired that his B&Ws (tweeters?) were fubared.. :D

8. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    tweeter driver moter on 1 speaker (something to do with voice coil) sent speakers back to b+w they said speakers were ok at first, (i pointed out 1 speakers treble sounded "nasel") on further checking they replaced tweeter driver, speakers now are sounding good even with 3802, i heard a85 with shops demo cdm1nts they sounded good ,defernite improvement over 3802, purchased a85 and tried at home (my speakers with a85 did not sound good) sold a85, the fault all the time was with 1 of my speakers not the combination of a85 with cdm1nts, it just happened to take me some time to find where the fault was, ps the tweeter drive fault had the effect of lacking in bass ,harsh treble, no mid bass to talk off, needed denon on about -28db same with a85, to get any volume with 2 channel, since repair get much more sound at lower volume,