1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 centres instead of 1?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by NEXUS-6, Oct 29, 2004.

1. NEXUS-6

NEXUS-6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem with positioning a centre speaker because of a sofa being beneath the projection image. The two fronts are fine either side of this sofa but there is no chance of my wife letting me wall-mount a centre speaker beneath the screen. If possible I would like to split the centre channel between two smallish, pod-ish speakers mounted on top of each front speaker but I'm not sure what the effect of wiring two speakers in parallel to the centre channel of a receiver/amp would be and what would it sound like.

Is this possible? Any suggestions? Am I being stupid? What speakers (cheapish) could I use?

2. Cmoth

Cmoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    if you want my honest opinion, i think your being stupid! - If i were you I would do away with the centre, if its impossible for you and the Mrs to agree a compromise and set your amp to no centre speaker.

A even less preferred option may be to utilise the speakers in the TV as the centre speaker but I would imagine their quality ( or lack of) would be highlighted by your side speakers ?

I have never tried two centre speakers and you run the risk of overloading your amplifier due to the recommended ohmage etc. I dont tecnically know enough about this other than knowing you need to check it out. Im sure someone on the forum more technically minded can elaborate further on this point.