1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 centre speakers better than one?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Timmy C, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    I was wondering if anyone had tried running two matching centre speakers using both the speaker 1 and 2 outputs on their amps and if there is any noticable improvement. I have a full 7.1 set of Monitor Audio silver i speakers that I don't intend to upgrade but I have seen a centre speaker matching mine going cheap as they are old stock and feel tempted!

Do you think I would also need a new power amp to get any real benefit?

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    Bad idea, the second set of speaker outputs will only duplicate what's meant to go to the from left and right speakers not the centre channel information. If you feel you need an improvement then buy a better centre speaker, you can do a lot better than the MA silver series, then you need to get amplification to do a better centre speaker justice.

3. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Some people run twin centres positioned either above and below the TV, or left and right, as close as possible. The intention is to move the sound source from the speaker to the centre of the picture by creating a phantom source.

Above and below is greatly preferable to left and right. If you sit off-axis, the closer speaker will dominate.

Try it, and see if you like it. If you don't, I'm sure the SLCR won't be hard to sell on eBay.

4. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Surely the second set of outputs on the third channel of an Arcam 10p3 will only output centre channel info. Speaker upgrades really isn't an option I wanted to go for as of course I would then need to look at upgrading to matching main speakers. Is it still a bad idea? Will there be no improvement at all?

As far as positioning goes I would be stacking the two speakers under a pj screen.