2-cam automated video editing

orfeas76

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am in a big trouble!
I ve shot a wedding with two camcorders.
The 1st one did a whole non-stop shot in order to maintain timecode
The 2nd one shot about 200 clips.
Is there an automated way of inserting the 2nd clips in the timeline in the correct position ????
Please note that the two camcorders' clocks were sync'ed before shooting.

Several editing packages have two camcorder editing including Premiere Pro and Magix Edit Pro MX Premium (a much cheaper option). The problem is that they require a continous run from both camcorders, you should have kept the cutaway camcorder running continously. You then just add the two versions to two timelines and sync them. You then just watch the two side by side and click on the one you want to go the master track.

The only way I can think of is enter the cutaway time code to the timeline and drop in the clip, it's going to take a while :eek:

Several editing packages have two camcorder editing including Premiere Pro and Magix Edit Pro MX Premium (a much cheaper option). The problem is that they require a continous run from both camcorders, you should have kept the cutaway camcorder running continously. You then just add the two versions to two timelines and sync them. You then just watch the two side by side and click on the one you want to go the master track.

The only way I can think of is enter the cutaway time code to the timeline and drop in the clip, it's going to take a while :eek:
I am pretty confident all 2-cam editors don't do it manually...
There has to be an automated way.
The timecode is there waiting for the program to ask for it.

You suggest two cameras running all the time??? IS this the way everybody does it?? I doubt. You have lot more work to do then..

I am pretty confident all 2-cam editors don't do it manually...
There has to be an automated way.
The timecode is there waiting for the program to ask for it.

You suggest two cameras running all the time??? IS this the way everybody does it?? I doubt. You have lot more work to do then..

It's a lot less work, all you have to do is drop one camcorder output on one track and the other on a second. Use the audio to synch the two tracks. Elect which audio track you want. Then you merely play back the two with a 2 source window and a one output window. During playback you simply click on the source you want to go to the master track. After the run through you can edit the master track in the normal way to adjust the switching points.

Example

I don't know any video editing software that will line up clips automatically based on timecode.

I may be misunderstanding here but I can't see any way that this could be automated. However it shouldn't be too hard to do manually as each of the clips from cam 2 would show up as a seperate clip. All you have to do is insert them at the appropriate time into the cam 1 vid. Whether as a substitute or an addition would be up to you to choose.

I have no doubt that there will be parts of cam 1 that you will want to cut anyway. You might also consider adding any stills that you have access to if they would improve the result. As for the soundtrack - I bet a good deal of it is just murmuring voices and unwanted noise. Edit that seperately as well - just leaving the important bits where lip sync is needed linked together.

Last edited:
It's a lot less work, all you have to do is drop one camcorder output on one track and the other on a second. Use the audio to synch the two tracks. ...
Lot less work?? I have to boost the audio cause it is subtle and try to figure out where it syncs with the other one. Multiply that X 200 times.
The tutorial you suggest starts with: "I ve already synced the two clips" !!!

I may be misunderstanding here but I can't see any way that this could be automated...
Why is it so strange that I want them synced using timecode?
I can't believe movie studios sync clips manually even today. So why expensive camcorders have timecode in/out to get perfectly synced ?

All I want to do is having a timeline with absolute and not relative time.
I mean a timeline starting at 8.00 o'clock and ending at 11.00 o'clock so I can fill in the gaps

In sort I want to sort videos by Capture Time

Last edited:
I also tried this software
Singular Software - PluralEyes
Although it asks if clips are chronological it just uses audio waveform to auto-sync the clips !! (a method that messed the clips)

EDIT: Unbelievable, it worked fine with very exact results! Truly amazing! And fast!

Last edited:
Lot less work?? I have to boost the audio cause it is subtle and try to figure out where it syncs with the other one. Multiply that X 200 times.
The tutorial you suggest starts with: "I ve already synced the two clips" !!!

You only have 2 clips (big ones). You simply line up the audio waveform of one with the other, it takes seconds and is even easier if you use a clapperboard. I repeat there are no editors that I know of that have this capability built in, I see you have found a 3rd party add on that can do it. You still have to choose which camcorder output appears in the master track if your seperate clip isn't required to overlay the continous track. Why not do it same way as anyone else. It needs no extra software.

Last time I did this I had one camcorder set to cover the wideangle view and the second runs continously and moves around. You simply switch to the wideangle view to cover zooms and camera relocation of the second camera. Syncing the two is dead simple, you simply listen to the soundtrack, any error shows up as an echo. Adding a 3rd camera is also simple if the software only supports 2 cameras, just use the 2 camera mastered track with the 3rd track

Last edited:
So you insist that making a continuous video file and editing in NLE is an easy way to start with...
What about a 5-hour wedding that has lots of useless footage??

So you insist that making a continuous video file and editing in NLE is an easy way to start with...
What about a 5-hour wedding that has lots of useless footage??

There's nothing to stop you importing the original footage in sections of the same length using Premiere, for instance using 5 1hr seperate sequences. Once you have edited each sequence simply import each sequence into a 6th final cut sequence.

Provided you don't break the original synch link you can chop the footage into as many smaller sections as you want and cut and paste each into a seperate sequence.

It's not me that insists on doing it this way, standard video editing packages including the pro ones only support multicam editing in this way. You clearly haven't tried it out.

Out of interest how would you make the two camcorders real time clocks were perfectly synchronised before filming ? Every 1/25 (or 1/50) second error means a full frame error.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom