1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 boxes 1 card

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by reevesy, Apr 30, 2005.

1. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    hi all,
    after looking on ebay and finding an all silver panasonic digi box with a couple of mins of bidding left i jumped in and got it for £39.i thought i'd use it another room with my pj with the idea of taking my card out of my original box and using it the panny :devil:
    now i've looked round this section of posts i've got a sneaking suspicion it aint gonna work,especially knowing how tight sky are.also would i still be able to use box office and my password on the new box?part of me thinks a digi box is a digi box right?but maybe its not so easy.
    so will it work?
    will i have to get an old yellow house card or cancelled card from somewhere(if so any pointers).
    or lastly will sky let me have another card and pay the extra £10 a month.
    any help would be much appreciated.cheers

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,242
    So what you are saying is you want to have two digiboxes running, but just use the same card and keep swapping it between boxes??

If so, I don't think that will work. You can call Sky and get them to match a box to a card, but you would have to do that everytime you change boxes which would get a bit of a pain.

AFAIK a cancelled card will not work in any box.

3. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cards are linked to the boxes so you can't just swap viewing cards.

4. fatherted

fatherted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can swap cards, it takes 5 seconds to initialise the subscription card to the other box, and the box does this itself.

You can NOT receive Sky movies (and I assume Sports) on the box that is NOT paired with the subscription card, however all other channels are available. I mostly do this for my kids since they made Nick Jnr a non FTA channel. :(

I have a Sky+ box and 2 other Panny boxes which I swap cards about in. The Sky+ will of course not record if the card is missing.

5. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have Sky changed things then? As the cards used to be tied to the boxes,whenever we swapped out a digi box we would have to phone Sky to setup the card,until that was done no subsciption channels would be available. I am going back to late '99 here-that's when i worked for Sky.

6. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Please clarify, fatherted. I thought - as with everyone else here - that the box is tied to the card at Sky HQ and each card will only work with one box. Else, card-cloning would be simple...

Mike.

7. frankmsl

frankmsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sky has never locked the cards to digiboxes for the basic channels (Family packages). The locking is only used for the Premium channels (movies, sports etc..).

You can freely move cards between boxes and see channels such as SKY1, Bravo, LivingTV etc.. I have done it many times between a few grundig boxes. I have not tried it with Sky+ only with standard boxes.

8. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm going by memory here but that doesn't seem to be the info i remember. We used to have to do a manual update of the box by phoning CEF to get the sunscription channels to work when changing a box.Maybe i'm not remembering this correctly but i'm 99% sure that was the case. Otherwise you would be able to take a card anywhere and watch premium(eg.Sky1)channels and as already mentioned what would stop a card being cloned??

9. fatherted

fatherted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Premium (sport, movies) channels are tied to the box - you are all correct in that fact.

Other channels will work with another boxes' card.

Well - it does for me !

10. fatherted

fatherted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know, cloning of these cards would be difficult, in the same way that cloning the latest mobile sim cards is now impossible.

Early phone sim cards - possible
    Modern sim cards - shut down when attempting to brute force hack.

I suspect the Sky card is the same. (and illegal) :nono:

11. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Questionable.

12. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    emmm,guess i'll have to try it when it gets here.
    so what some of you are saying is i'll have to contact sky if i want to use any other digi box with my current card?
    also i thought a cancelled card or these yellow house cards that seem to be about, especially on ebay suprising enough, will still recieve free channels incl.itv,chs 4 and 5 plus all the other bumpth that no one watches.i've took my card out and can only get bbc stuff.i dont mind paying the extra tenner a month for all my current channels on a second box if sky will let me do it on a card only and not the whole box,fitting etc.call me paranoid but i dont want to ring up and ask unless i know its a goer :D

13. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Sky should have no problem with activating a second room subscription on you new box. Just tell them you bought an old box from a friend and have installed it yourself. They will be quite happy to take you money, I'm sure!

If you can get hold of a free-to-view card, then that would be another option. Used to be able to get them from a BBC helpline, but since the BBC went unencrypted on a different satellite they don't provide the service any more. The forthcoming free service from Sky should remedy this.