2 AV Receivers (use one as amplifier?)

m4xen

Novice Member
Dear All

My current 5.1 system is hooked up on a Yamaha RX-A781 receiver.

I've also a Harmon Kardon AVR 660 collecting dust :) Is it possible to connect it into the system and use it as amplifier?

My thoughts are following:

Yamaha powers center and surround speakers
H/K powers front speakers (as amplifier)

How do I connect them both?

Please find attached photos below of the rear panels from the both receivers:

RX-A781.png

HK660.png

Will the signal bypass the H/K pre-amp? (meaning it will act as a pure amp)

Thanks

peter-d-w

Established Member
Front L&R on the Yamaha (16 on the diagram) to Front L&R (6-8- Channel Inputs) on the HK. There will probably be a Multichannel Input button to select on the HK. Connect Front speakers to HK. Look in the manual for a Pure Direct Mode on the HK if you you want to bypass the pre-amp. Set volume control on the HK to a mid point and leave it there. You may have to experiment a little until you are satisfied.

m4xen

Novice Member
Front L&R on the Yamaha (16 on the diagram) to Front L&R (6-8- Channel Inputs) on the HK. There will probably be a Multichannel Input button to select on the HK. Connect Front speakers to HK. Look in the manual for a Pure Direct Mode on the HK if you you want to bypass the pre-amp. Set volume control on the HK to a mid point and leave it there. You may have to experiment a little until you are satisfied.

Hello and thanks for the reply! Will try this tomorrow.

I found this in the manual:

Surround mode 2-Channel Stereo

Turns off all surround processing and plays a pure 2-channel signal or a downmix of a multichannel signal. The signal is digitized and bass management settings are applied, making it appropriate when a subwoofer is used.

• Analog (2-channel; DSP downmix available for multichannel)
• Tuner • PCM (32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz)

Could this be the Pure Direct Mode you are mentioning?

peter-d-w

Established Member
Not really, I would have expected a mode which turned off processing on all inputs, not just on 2 channels. Still try the connections first and you can worry about the detail later.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony A84L/A80L BRAVIA XR OLED TV Review - COMPARED to LG C3, Samsung QD-OLED & LG G3
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Back
Top Bottom