2 attempts to Exit XP Pro

caveman38

I have an old laptop that runs XP Pro. Only one user. The problem is (not really a big deal) that you have to have 2 attempts to close down the system.
The first attempt is greeted by "the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application"
I click OK and on the second attempt to "Turn off computer" is successful.
Why does it need 2 goes.
I get the impression that the first attempt is seen as an exit by another user which is denied and the second attempt is by the administrator.
Although no log-in is required could the machine still believe there are two users. Cheers

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I have an old laptop that runs XP Pro. Only one user. The problem is (not really a big deal) that you have to have 2 attempts to close down the system.
The first attempt is greeted by "the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application"
I click OK and on the second attempt to "Turn off computer" is successful.
Why does it need 2 goes.
I get the impression that the first attempt is seen as an exit by another user which is denied and the second attempt is by the administrator.
Although no log-in is required could the machine still believe there are two users. Cheers

Sounds to me like a background process isn't terminating properly when sent the process end by XP when you choose shut down. This is usually a background task/service such as an AV/Security app or a "Watch" type service like a Printing application/music/video launcher.

Fire up start\runMSconfig and see what apps are running at startup and try getting rid of all but the necessary ones.

caveman38

There are about a dozen exe's, how do I know what's necessary.
There is next to no software o the laptop besides office.
Can I disable all of the exe's or should I google each one and see if there is an associated piece of software.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
There are about a dozen exe's, how do I know what's necessary.
There is next to no software o the laptop besides office.
Can I disable all of the exe's or should I google each one and see if there is an associated piece of software.

None are really 'necessary'. most are just there to make apps load a little faster or check for updates for the apps.

these remember are the apps that appear in the tooltray on the bottom right of the screen. The more you have the slower your PC start up will be as well.

I'd just leave the MS ones and any relating to sound/video drivers.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom