2 Amps with 1 set of towers - How to

ft2711

Novice Member
Hi all,

I currently own a Denon x4500 running 5.1 system. I am getting a dedicated 2 channel integrated amp.
  • I would like to run my towers through the 2 channel amp but also use them through the Denon
  • The towers have 2 binding posts
  • I would like to use the stereo amp seperately to the Denon (never run them concurrently) for Music AND then use Denon for Home Theatre use (with Stereo amp switched off)
  • The towers have 2 binding posts
What are my options besides swopping out cables on a daily basis?

Would I need to get a speakers switcher?

Could I run 2 sets of cable into the seperate binding posts (as far as I know this is not advisable)

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

rccarguy2

Just use the left and right pre outs from the Denon into the stereo amplifier. Then wire the stereo amp to your speaker. So the Denon l/r amps speaker outputs are not connected to anything.

Don't mess around with connecting two amplifiers into one speakers, you'll blow both amps up.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
You essentially have 2 options.

A speaker switch box

Or

Use the preouts on the Denon connected to the stereo amp. Ideally a stereo amp with something called a HT bypass option, this is usually a switchable input that bypasses the volume and essentially makes the stereo amp work like a power amp.

You can connect to a normal analogue input on any stereo amp but you'll find the volume will need to be set really high and turned back down before using the stereo amp on its own.

Do you have a budget for the stereo amp? Unsurprisingly it only tends to be slightly higher range amps that include the HT bypass option.

rccarguy2

You can connect to a normal analogue input on any stereo amp but you'll find the volume will need to be set really high and turned back down before using the stereo amp on its own.

I do that, it's a bit annoying but not the end of the world, just set it to 12 o clock (Audiolab 8000Q) and change input (for movies) then reduce volume and change input (for stereo)

AV pre--->Audiolab 8000Q----> ATI poweramp

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I do that, it's a bit annoying but not the end of the world, just set it to 12 o clock (Audiolab 8000Q) and change input (for movies) then reduce volume and change input (for stereo)

AV pre--->Audiolab 8000Q----> ATI poweramp

I used to do exactly that when it was just me using my system but there's no way I'd do it now with family. Even when it was just me I did forget to lower the volume on at least one occasion.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
When the stereo amplifier doesn't have an HT bypass option, your best bet is a Beresford TC-7220 switch. The slightly cheaper TC-7210 may also work for you. If you have more cash to spend, you can get an automatic speaker source selection switch (Sonance, Russound, Speakercraft).

If you haven't yet bought an integrated stereo amplifier, put HT bypass option on the mandatory feature list.

Last edited:

rccarguy2

When the stereo amplifier doesn't have an HT bypass option, your best bet is a Beresford TC-7220 switch. The simpler and cheaper TC-7210 may also work for you. If you have more cash to spend, you can get an automatic speaker source selection switch (Sonance, Russound, Speakercraft).

If you haven't yet bought an integrated stereo amplifier, put HT bypass option on the mandatory feature list.

Is that unit line level or speaker level?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Is that unit line level or speaker level?
Speaker level. Beresford also do line level switches. If you follow the link you can navigate the full product range.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom