1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 amps into 1 set of speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MikeFish, Jul 7, 2005.

1. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know of a way of connecting 2 different amplifiers to one set of speakers?
    Maplins do a cheap switching unit, but I am hoping there is a high quality version out there somewhere.
    Why? My AV amp doesn't sound as good as I want for music, so would like to be able to switch etween AV amp and music amp.

2. hedrick@rutgers

hedrick@rutgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The only one I've seen is from Niles, the DPS-1 ($80). However I've successfully used two Radio Shack speaker switches, one for + and the other for -. The difference between a speaker switch and an amp switch is that the speaker switch normally connects all the - lines together and just switches the +s. That's fine for speakers, but in your application it can cause a short. So if you use the + side of two speaker switches you'll get what you need.

3. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Would your music amp be OK to drive the mains for AV? If so, connect the main L+R pre-amp outs of your AV amp to a tape or auxilliary input on you music amp and use that for both.

YOu just have to remember to set the music amp volume control to the same position each time for AV. Then the AV amp controls the level.

Assuming your AV amp has pre-outs, of course

4. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Dave, I've done exactly that. It's an old Cyrus 2 from out of the loft. The only problem is as you say, that every time I go from listening to music to watching films I have to remember to set the volume level just right (have to set it by eye, as there's no digital display on that old amp!). It seems that when at half volume the main speakers seem to be at just the right level. If I switch to CD and forget to turn the volume down I get a bloody great shock though!
    Also, I used to have my mains speakers bi-amped from my AV amp, but my Cyrus has only stereo outputs. So although music now sounds better I might find that my AV has been sacrificed for this (haven't watched a film since re-wiring, altough TV still sounds great).