1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 amps into 1 pair of speakers ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by HMHB, Oct 18, 2004.

1. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,965
    This could be a dumb question:-
    I currently have an AV setup but was wondering if I could use a stereo amp to just power the front speakers whilst still having the AV amp plugged into them. I wouldn't want both amps switched on at the same time, I'd just want to use the Av amp for movies and the stereo amp for CDs.
    If it is possible, what would be the potential problem if both amps were accidentally on at the same time ?

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You can If you.... 1. buy a speaker switch box to allow you to switch between the two amps. 2.) If the power amp in the AV amp and your other power amp have similar gain then you can use them to biamp assuming your speakers have biwire terminals and your AV amp has preouts. 3.) Assuming your AV amp has preouts you can take its R+L channels out of the equation and use the offboard amp to power the speakers for both stereo and AV use :thumbsup:

3. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,965
    The speakers do have biwire terminals (Castle Avon) and the amp is a Denon 3805 but I'm not sure if it can be bi-amped as I've not read the manual :blush:
    Edit - do you lose any quality if you use a speaker switch ?

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You can't just have both amps plugged directly into the same pair of speakers as it causes various impedence matching problems that at best would cause the safety circuit in your amp to trip.

You either need to connect both amps into a speaker switch (QED make them, also more generic versions usually available from the usual suspects such as Keene and CPC). There may be a small loss of sound quality but it'll probably not be noticeable and it's also worth considering it as a worthwhile trade for convenience. And of course if it's outweighed by the improvement of using the stereo amp into the speakers.

The other option is to connect the front pre-outs of your AV amp into an input on the stereo amp, then just connecting the speakers to the stereo amp. If you're watching anything via the AV amp you'd also need to turn on the stereo amp and set it to a certain volume that you decided whilst setting the system up. For sound quality it's the most elegant solution but for practicality it's useless, especially if other people will be using your system.