1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 amps for music and cinema

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Sharpy14, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Sharpy14

Sharpy14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Silly question but I have a Yamaha DSP E800, and ran this with an old Marantz amp, for prologic.

I now have a better "audio" amp and am upgrading to plasma, so would like to run Dolby digital.

I have Mission 773 floorstanders with two sets of inputs on each speaker (for bi-wiring I assume).

Can I run these speakers as normal stereo speakers from my "audio" amp, whilst also feeding them from a "dolby digital receiver" when I watch movies (along with front and rear speakers)

In short, can I have two different amps feeding into one set of front speakers?

2. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharpy, at present I have an audio amp and a seperate av amp. Each time I have to switch cables (bi wired so a real pain in the a$$). Suggestions would be either:

1) Get a switch box to control the input
    2) Use pre-outs on the AV amp to the audio amp so only the audio amp is 'connected'. You'd need to set volumes etc carefully but would be good.

You shouldn't feed both amps into the speakers. My route (I think) is to replace both of them with an arcam amp to give me the best of all worlds with less boxes.

Maybe others have more options though...