1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2-3k upgrade Kef,MA or JM with either a new Denon3805 or Marantz8500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Starkiller, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi :hiya:

Im looking to upgrade my cinema system for around £2-3K

my current system is in my Signature, id like to replace the speakers with something more substantial(7.1) and add an AV amp I think the DVD player is ok.
    but i would like them to match.

for the AV Amp im looking at the Marantz 7500/8500 or maybe the Denon 2805 or 3805 perhaps spending £800-1000:confused:

My speakers have to be wife friendly :( but sound big :rolleyes: (not point in upgrading other wise eh) so wall mounting or arty stands will probably be needed

so far im thinking about KEF Q1&Q9 fronts maybe compacts or KHT2000 or 5000 for the rear. or a JM Sib/XL combo

Do you think is worth upgrading the DVD player maybe an amp matching £5-800 jobbie with DVI & prog scan etc or using that cash to upgrade the front speakers to 3x9000aces or XQ1&C instead :lease:

as for the sub, ekk no clue :rolleyes:
    any ideas or experiences are welcome as i seam to be going round in circles

Dave

2. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :rolleyes:
    Additionally, I made trip 7oaks & tried the 2805(they didnt have a 3805) with some MA B4 set and 2 extra B2s for 7.1 . (the DVD was a HK??)

sounded ok on Star wars, sounded better when it was louder, but music was a little boomy(and i like bass) played keene, kept getting a hanging bass note that overpower everything and was anoying. the b4s were toe'd in and i think had a very focused sweet spot, as if i moved 3" to either side the sound stage shifted to one side?

Decided to try the MA radius R225 set, this sounded somehow more focused?? but seam a little lacking in mid bass??(not really sure on that tho)

Keene sounded much better staging/bass hang wise, but still missing something i think.

So, I thought the Denon was probaby ok and should improve, with the right speakers?. left feeling a little more confused :confused:
    think i will try to demo the denon again with maybe MA silver 2 set or inwalls.

7oaks were nice, but could have done without the speach on internet pricing/demo and coffee etc, there prices are good anyway so i have no problem in buying from them. but stuff like that makes me want to walk out :rolleyes:

Booked a local demo to try the JM Sibs & in walls with a Arcam, so more later

3. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    anyone?, please dont let me be only one posting here :lease:

I dragged the wife into our local hifi shops this weekend, to see what she would tolerate in the lounge. I knew i wouldn't get away with floor standers, She didn't like the stand mounts either, but she absolutely loves the inwalls and would like extra speakers for the kitchen & dinning room and some wall control panel that was £1500!!!

There goes my idea of a Quad L 7.1 setup(after reading this months what hifi)

anyway managed to briefly hear some JMlabs inwalls and inceiling rears with a cub2 sub sound was ok but hard to tell in 2mins. going to demo properly this saturday and also try the jm sib xl set

the budgets going to take a kicking as i probably need to allow another £1000 for cabling and installation(??any ideas??) on top.

:lease: anyone got any experience of in wall sound quality and installation experience or recommended speaker selection :lease: :lease:

4. martimu

martimu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Hi Dave,

You can get a fantasic sound from in wall speakers. However you start to run into problems with placement.

The directionality of tweeters tends to mean that unless you have the room set up purely to focus on the AV system, you can lose focus really easily them moment you get off axis.

many companies try and compensate for this with swivel tweeters and diffusers. I have to say personally I think this often seems to make things worse until you start to get to silly money.

Given your budgets i'd have a look at KEF or maybe Tannoy as their co-incident and coaxial designs inherently are better at providing a wider angle of dispersion and a more flexible placement.

Hope that helps

Martin

From experience I can safely say that i think the KEF inwall stuff is really good and the reference inwall is just awsome

5. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for your coments

Kef is high on my prefered speaker list, ive always like their sound, ive heard in-car uniQ, a Q35 AV set and KHT2005 so far.

I would love to get/hear the kef CI2000 in my set up, but their quite expensive. Anyone had or heard these?

I recon you need at least a 5" driver preferably a 6" to get reasonable midbass. (all thing being equal)

When I take in to account installation costs i probably could afford the 9000ACE's

my local dealers do Focal Cache 200 & sonance any coments on these, ive not heard of sonance before?

im not sure if they do kef inwalls tho

6. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Marantz would probably be my favorite as i have their dvd and ive been happy with it, as for a new DVD im not sure i depends on how much i blow on speakers & installation. upscaling and DVI to PJ would be nice, but i could get it later

Any got any ideas on how i should split the budget for speakers and amp etc

7. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Demo'ed

the arcam250 and JM Sib-SibXL-Cub2 package today :thumbsup:

It was a nice set up, not as exciting as some, but capable of drawing you into the movie. Music was good too via an iriver, but was much better from CD(wife noticed this :eek: ) the XLSibs passed the wife test and i liked them too :smashin: .

I was a little concerned about the 8" cub2 for a sub it specifies 40Hz min, i think in might suffer in low bass, maybe if it was put in a corner in might be better? or swap it for something better? any ideas

with this option id save £1000 on cabling and installation so we are considering a matching DVD player, unfortunately the only one with DVi/hmdi? was the 79 at £1000

also the power on the 250 was only 75w probably ok? but id got it in my mind to get around 100w, maybe i could up this to the 300, but starts to look expense compared to the denon3805/3910 or the Marantz8500/7600, although i've not had the chance to hear this yet.

all in a good demo, think were getting somewhere now :clap:

8. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    just thought id post the latest demo, just in case anyones reading this(it also helps me focus my thoughts)

went back to 7oaks, and tried the arcam79/300 & the denon 3910/3805 with M&K's K5/K4/K10

the m&k's are very small in size(no fitting problems) detailed and exciting on film, but for some reason hard/painful on the ears, dam shame

couldnt really tell much difference in the arcam&denon wife actually prefered the denon(it hurt less :rotfl: )

maybe the demo was too loud, and our ears when into compression, and after that nothing would sound right??
    or setup wrong(doubt this tho)

also went to creative to try the Kef 9000/5000. no pain and much smoother & louder, but serously lacked excitment and detail. music was best ever, but its AV & music were after, so writen them off

my local dealer cant seam to get marantz sr8500, so this is drifting off the list, and i dont think the dv7600 out yet, and feels like it may never come out.