1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.35:1 Cropping

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Cinemascope, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Cinemascope

Cinemascope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there somthing wrong with me if i record movies in 1.33:1 (4:3) and focusing so all essensial information fits in the 2.35:1 (Cinemascope, Panavision) format within the 1.33 frame and later crop it with black bars so it will get a 2.35:1 look.

And i'm using a Panasonic NV-DS28 Mini-DV Camcorder

2. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't see a problem with that. Didn't Peter Jackson do that for LOTR after all? ;)

3. Cinemascope

Cinemascope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well he used Super 35 so he will get a high "resolution", if anyone know what super 35 is

4. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hindeed I do, at least, I read it once :) Something to do with a cheaper way of doing anamorphic film? Where you end up with a full frame and crop it?

My camera has two WS modes, one of which adds in black bars for you and the other does a kind of digital vertical stretching of the image (like watching a 16:9 on a 4:3 TV) so that when you play it back on widescreen it corrects the aspect ratio. Course, it doesn't gains you anything in resolution though. And I'm not yet sure how to take that and process on a PC to DVD but plan to experiment.

5. Madman

Madman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, you loose resolution if you play the "widescreen" footage back on a WS TV. The image is stretched to fill 25% more space, so resolution is lost.

I learned that unless you get a really good anamorphic lens (about £1000) OR get a camera which supports true anamorphic (BIG money), then just film in 4:3. I just thought that the quality loss on WS TV's was unacceptable.