1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2:35:1 anamorphic material

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jimmy the Saint, Jan 13, 2001.

1. Jimmy the Saint

Jimmy the Saint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone out there explain to me what exactly the benefits are of displaying 2:35:1 anamorphic material (i.e. the majority of available material) on the 16:9 mode on a projector (not Sony 10HT).
    If I select 4:3 letterbox mode on my dvd player, as opposed to 16:9, I receive exactly the same image but without the second set of bars above and below the picture (due to the nature of my LCD projector these bars are greyer than the projectors standard 16:9 format bars and thus very distracting).
    Am I losing any resolution in this process? I've checked in detail and can only notice a very slight blurring on the edge of the picture.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The improved definition from an Anamorphic Signal is in the number of horizontal lines that comprise the picture, i.e., the vertical definition. All other things being equal, there should be no effect on the horizontal definition.

There are 576 horizontal lines in a PAL TV picture. Suppose you have a film which was made for the screen in a 16x9 ratio (eg Starship Troopers). If your signal is anamorphic, all 576 lines will be used to produce the picture. If it isn't, only about 430 lines will be used for the 16x9 image; the other 146 or so will be used for the black areas which will fill a 4x3 screen.