For Sale 2, 3 or 4 channels of Cyrus SmartPower

dazed&confused

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Reaction score
Two Cyrus SmartPower amplifiers, in black.
They can be switched from stereo mode into mono block mode, giving you a very flexible 2, 3 or 4 channels in total.
I have used them very successfully both as stereo mono blocks, and as power for the front 3 channels in my 5.1 set up; most recently I have been using just the one of them, to power my surround speakers (solely for aesthetic reasons, I purchased Audiolab power amps to match my processor).
The small footprint of the Cyrus makes them ideal for tucking away out of sight.

See post 5 for description of cosmetic issues.

I have just had a look at recently completed sales on eBay and found two black Cyrus SmartPowers that sold in auction - one went for £180.50 and the other went for £287.50, so there seems to be a lot of luck involved.
Based on the recent eBay sales, I figure that £300 for the pair should be a realistic price for a quick, hassle free sale.
I have boxes but I would much prefer the buyer to collect the items from my home.

David.

Price and currency
£300
Delivery cost included
Delivery is NOT included
Prefer goods collected?
I prefer the goods to be collected
Advertised elsewhere?
Not advertised elsewhere
Payment method
Cash / Bank transfer
Last edited:

dazed&confused

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Reaction score
I see another one, in black, has just sold on eBay this evening (Sunday).
This one was being sold by the British Heart Foundation Shop, and was listed as "has only been briefly tested to make sure the power comes on", so bidders were taking a risk of the unit being faulty.
It went for £205.
I would much prefer to sell my pair of amps here.

007L2Kill

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Reaction score
Maybe interested as they are a small footprint, but could I see some pictures of them as you say nothing about condition.

Would you go any lower as I think the most, I would go to would be £270, but depends on condition etc…, plus any links to specs of the units?

Thanks a lot.

dazed&confused

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Reaction score
Hello

That's right, I didn't say anything about condition, sorry - they were still tucked away underneath the table that all my other gear is sat on. However, I did price them low as I assumed there would be cosmetic issues - bear in mind these are quite old amps now - and yes, there are.

I've just got them out for you this evening. Both amps look fine from the front. One of the amps has clearly noticeable scratching/scuffing on the top. If someone was looking for 'mint' or entirely unblemished then I'd say the scratching/scuffing would seem pretty nasty up close, and they would certainly reject this amp. To show it at maximum visibility, I've placed both amps directly under a bright spotlight in the kitchen, and photographed the scratching/scuffing on two separate areas of the top of the amp in question - this is in the two photos that are last but one. Then in the last photo I've pulled the camera back to catch both areas simultaneously. The top of the other amp has two or three shallow suff marks but you need to move it around in the right light to see them, and I couldn't catch them on camera. Sorry about the poor pictures - all I have is the rubbish camera on my old iPhone 4S.

So, I think the bottom line is that they would look fine in a rack or with one sat on top of the other but if your looking for something in unblemished cosmetic condition then these are not going to be the amps for you at any price, because of the condition of one of them. If you want Cyrus because of the small footprint and sealed case (no heat issues) then you could try eBay but I would say to make sure that the condition is described in clear detail as any SmartPower is going to be a good few years old now.

How low I would go would depend on whether or not the buyer can pick the amps up. As I say, I'm looking for zero hassle and I would really want the buyer to see what they're buying before they part with their cash.

Here's a link to the specs

IMG_5415.JPGIMG_5416.JPGIMG_5417.JPGIMG_5418.JPGIMG_5419.JPGIMG_5420.JPG

007L2Kill

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Reaction score
Thank you, David:smashin:, for the pictures and the time in doing this, its much appreciated.

I can see the marks etc…, as I wanted these as Atmos power amps but they will be on show, if I could somehow paint the enclosure that may work, not sure, stacked may work but space as I have large amps now.

Will have a think over the weekend if still available I will get back to you.

Thanks again.

dazed&confused

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Reaction score
No problem

I've had a look in daylight, this morning, and it doesn't look so bad but when the unit is sat in front of the window the scratches do become visible when you get within a few feet.

After posting the information last night I did wonder if something like T-cut might do the trick. Cyrus cases are cast and then painted, and it occurred to me that the scratches look pretty much like what I've seen when I've been looking at cars on the forecourt, and the salesman says "oh, that will T-cut out, no problem". It would be easy enough to spray paint the top but I don't know how easy it would be to match the paint with the sides and front. They are the 'smooth' black, which could maybe help. It would be easy to paint the whole case (taping up the insert at the front), apart from the 'Cyrus' logo in the top left corner of the front, which is on the casing itself rather than the insert - not sure how you would deal with that.

I don't think painting is out of the question, especially as they are 'smooth black'

hondadriver

Standard Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Reaction score
Hi David,

I can offer £250 for the pair collected from you at your convenience... Happy to pay cash or instant transfer on collection... Whichever suits you best. Many thanks Nick

dazed&confused

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Reaction score
Hi Nick

Thanks for your offer.

Considering the scratches on the top of the one amp, I'm happy to accept your offer. I'm annoyed at myself as I do like to look after my stuff and I can't think what is was I did to cause the scratches. As long as you're okay with it though.

Let's move to PM once you see this.

David.

hondadriver

Standard Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Reaction score
Thanks David, yes it's going in the bottom of a rack so they won't be visible.. I'll pm you my details shortly... Many thanks Nick

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom