2.1 vs 3.1 setup with £1000 budget + Recommendations

josefK666

Yeah, I definitley plan to have a subwoofer. Would you say the X2700H is adequate enough for the LS50's if not playing them at high volume? Or any other more budget receivers that you can recommend may work with them?

Yeah, I think the biggest concern is not being able to source a center when the time comes that I decide to get one.

The speakers have a relatively low sensitivity and can get low in terms of impedance at times which I think has made some people suggest that you need a powerful amp to drive these. If you were listening to music mainly at higher volumes in a large room with no subwoofer then, yes, I'd tell you to upgrade to get the best out of them.
You're not doing any of that. And you're getting a subwoofer to help carry the load. Even with another Centre it should be fine
But the x3700 does have advantages other than power - only you can judge if they're worth it.

(US Versions)

You could just go and listen - the speakers and AVR are very popular models so you may be able to do that quite easily - or even go for the X2700H with an understanding of swapping it out for an upgrade if it's not quite right.

Last edited:

WeaponX

There's an amazing offer on the Monoprice THX-365C (center speaker) at the moment. Normally retails for €400+ but through Amazon it's coming in at around €220. I bought 4 of them (each an individual order to get the voucher price). Someone else on the thread bought 3 of them to use as LCR.

Amazon product

Is showing as £313 for me. Is it still showing 220 Euro for you?

sjackson

Ah the 40% off voucher is gone. It was there earlier. It seems to come and go so good chance it will pop again. Where you see the 15% off below, it was 40% off for the center speaker.

1648820738020.png

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply. The Monitors do get very good reviews and I'll definitley take a look into them. Any difference between the Monitor Audio Silver 50 and the Apex 10? Also, how do they both compare to the Monitor Audio STUDIO Satin Grey?

A lot of good points here as always!

I could afford a third LS50 Meta in the future I think, but can I find a single LS50 is another question!

I don't plan to be having them at crazy high volumes, especially late at night to be considerate to the neightbours, but at fairly normal levels for movie watching.

Since I bought the TV at Richersounds this week, they offered me a dicount on the Denon as well, so I can get a Denon x3700 + LS50 Metas for £1800 at Richersounds.

Would the Denon AVR-X2700H be too low on power do you think for the LS50s even if not playing them at high volumes?

I wouldn't be too familiar with power amps. Does this just connect to the AV receiver to boost the power? Thanks.

Yeah, I definitley plan to have a subwoofer. Would you say the X2700H is adequate enough for the LS50's if not playing them at high volume? Or any other more budget receivers that you can recommend may work with them?

Yeah, I think the biggest concern is not being able to source a center when the time comes that I decide to get one.

Ask RS do they sell you single LS50 Meta when time is right and send email Peter Tyson too as they often gives best bundle deals. I can`t remember who sold them as single, but do ask few dealers before you go forward as this is probably the key thing now.

You don´t need poweramp with the normal listening levels you are describing. Would you change your mind in future who knows, for that the X3700H would be well worth cause it has preouts. But the main reason is usually to get the better Audussey version which also affects how your subwoofer is going to sound in your room cause it has more effective correction (higher filter resolution) and also if you ever add 2nd subwoofer then the XT32 in X3700H comes very handy cause with X2700H you can`t set separate delays for each sub so might limit you placement wise. We have objective data showing since X3300W it handles 4ohm loads without issue so it would be good receiver for the Kefs or what ever you choose to go with. Denon costs 1100£, LS50 Meta 1000£ so 2100£, you get -300£ off. As i said you could still ask from few other dealers can they sweeten the deal. RS gives 6year warranty for X3700H which is BIG thing as normally it`s 2 years in UK and if it breaks down they give you unit for the time they repair it. Oh you also need speaker stands and there is thread going stands for LS50 Metas. You looking to spend 100-200£ roughly depending finish and looks.

WeaponX

Ask RS do they sell you single LS50 Meta when time is right and send email Peter Tyson too as they often gives best bundle deals. I can`t remember who sold them as single, but do ask few dealers before you go forward as this is probably the key thing now.

You don´t need poweramp with the normal listening levels you are describing. Would you change your mind in future who knows, for that the X3700H would be well worth cause it has preouts. But the main reason is usually to get the better Audussey version which also affects how your subwoofer is going to sound in your room cause it has more effective correction (higher filter resolution) and also if you ever add 2nd subwoofer then the XT32 in X3700H comes very handy cause with X2700H you can`t set separate delays for each sub so might limit you placement wise. We have objective data showing since X3300W it handles 4ohm loads without issue so it would be good receiver for the Kefs or what ever you choose to go with. Denon costs 1100£, LS50 Meta 1000£ so 2100£, you get -300£ off. As i said you could still ask from few other dealers can they sweeten the deal. RS gives 6year warranty for X3700H which is BIG thing as normally it`s 2 years in UK and if it breaks down they give you unit for the time they repair it. Oh you also need speaker stands and there is thread going stands for LS50 Metas. You looking to spend 100-200£ roughly depending finish and looks.

Thanks again for the info.

I actually contacted Richer Sounds two days ago asking if they'd sell a single LS50, but said they are unable to due to risk of them ending up with a single speak and not having another buyer interested in it.

I'll send Peter Tyson an email as well thanks.

For the subwoofer, I definitley think one will suit my needs and two will be overkill, but can understand its useful to futue proof just encase.

Yeah, the 6 year warranty is great, one of the reasons I bought my TV there.

WeaponX

Just realised something. My decision on choosing an AV Receiver was heavily based on the receiver having 4K 120hz HDR support (without the hdmi 2.1 bug).

However, is it correct that I could still get 4K 120 by instead connecting the source (PC) to the TV and then connecting the TV to the receiver via E-ARC or even an optical cable? Also, is there any quality difference between HDMI and optical?

My understanding now of 4k 120 issue is that it's only when you connect the source input to the av receiver, but if you connect it to the TV instead it should be good?

I only have one source that requires 4K 120, so I'm thinking this could potentially work for me. Not sure if I'm missing something though.

WeaponX

Update!

After some thinking, I decided against the LS50 metas for two reasons (even though I really like the look):

1. Potentially difficult sourcing a third in the future as a center.
2. Requires significantly increasing my av receiver budget beyond what I initially had hoped to pay.

I've now narrowed the speakers down to two options that I have available to me at what seems like a decent deal.

KEF Q350 (Used but in perfect condition at £290).
Klipsch RP-600m - (New at £362 - seems like a good price for the premiere model)

For the subwoofer, I'm looking at the following:

SVS SB1000 Pro (£575)
Monolith 10 (£499)
Klipsch R 120 Sw (£285)
Gemini 2 (£255)

The SVS is more expensive than the other sub options, but it seems to get some decent reviews on the forums. Is it worth double the Gemini and Klipsch though?

For the av receiver, I'm still debating the options currently but the x3700h is over budget. Considering the x2700h at the moment. One potential issue I read with Denon though is that they overheat, and I'll likely have the receiver in a small enough area of the tv unit, leaving only a few cm of space above the receiver. Could this be a problem?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Update!

After some thinking, I decided against the LS50 metas for two reasons (even though I really like the look):

1. Potentially difficult sourcing a third in the future as a center.
2. Requires significantly increasing my av receiver budget beyond what I initially had hoped to pay.

I've now narrowed the speakers down to two options that I have available to me at what seems like a decent deal.

KEF Q350 (Used but in perfect condition at £290).
Klipsch RP-600m - (New at £362 - seems like a good price for the premiere model)

For the subwoofer, I'm looking at the following:

SVS SB1000 Pro (£575)
Monolith 10 (£499)
Klipsch R 120 Sw (£285)
Gemini 2 (£255)

The SVS is more expensive than the other sub options, but it seems to get some decent reviews on the forums. Is it worth double the Gemini and Klipsch though?

For the av receiver, I'm still debating the options currently but the x3700h is over budget. Considering the x2700h at the moment. One potential issue I read with Denon though is that they overheat, and I'll likely have the receiver in a small enough area of the tv unit, leaving only a few cm of space above the receiver. Could this be a problem?

Fair enough. Hope you are sure about the speaker choice so no regrets later on. Try to listen both Q350 and 600M before making the decision. Hopefully there is dealer that carries both so can compare side by side.

There is some cheaper used receivers available, but always more riskier without warranty.

I think member just got -100£ off from SB1000 Pro price. For sure it´s way better than Gem II and the R120 (forget this model!). If you wait about week for easter then you should see "Easter sale" on monoprice site and the 10 THX should go closer to 400£ making it amazing deal. Just check the dimensions will work for you.

What was the size of your room?

WeaponX

Hi Gasp,

Thanks again for the info. I've actually came across many of your posts in other threads on the forum here over the past few days as well, many of which have been very helpful to myself and I'm sure many others that have been searching through and reading the forums. Just wanted to say I appreciate it!

Fair enough. Hope you are sure about the speaker choice so no regrets later on. Try to listen both Q350 and 600M before making the decision. Hopefully there is dealer that carries both so can compare side by side.

Unfortunetly I'm unable to listen to both first. The closest place near me is RS, but is a 4 hour roundtrip for me, and I just don't have the time at the moment. Though I'm sure it's probably worth making the trip.

I've read up a lot on both the Q350 and RP 600M. Many say they have a different sound between them, but both seem to get good reviews and feedback (though Klipsch less so in the UK since the RRP prices here are much higher than US), meaning it's only worth it if you can find a great deal. They also both have a matching easily available center that I could purchase if I decided I needed a center in the future.

If I thought the LS50 meta would have no issues with a more budget receiver, I would have considered them more. I can now get a used pair of the original KEF LS50 for £500 as well, which did tempt me, but same thing applies here. I'd likely need to up my receiver budget.

There is some cheaper used receivers available, but always more riskier without warranty.

Looks like this one sold this morning, but will keep an eye out on the classifieds.

Yeah, a warranty would be more preferable with a receiver I think. Not sure if purchasing used can come with a transferable warranty either.

With audio equipment, is there parts that people would generally consider more important to buy new than used? For example, is it more risky buying an av receiver used than say speakers or a sub?

If a good used deal came up though, I'd consider it.

I think member just got -100£ off from SB1000 Pro price. For sure it´s way better than Gem II and the R120 (forget this model!). If you wait about week for easter then you should see "Easter sale" on monoprice site and the 10 THX should go closer to 400£ making it amazing deal. Just check the dimensions will work for you.

What was the size of your room?

This is great to know on the easter sale. The SB1000 Pro and the 10 THX are now the two I'm looking at.

There is a SVS PB1000 PRO also on the classifieds here also with 4.5 years warranty left, though not sure if transferable. Do you think it would be worth getting a used SVS PB1000 PRO or a new SB1000 Pro if priced the same?

I actually need to measure the room size. It would have a long / narrow shape. A rough estimate is 28ft by 15ft.

sjackson

There'll probably be a sale on all the Monoprice speakers, not just the subs.

What's the new budget? Is it crazy to suggest getting that pair of second hand LS50's and the clearance pair from RS so you have a front three and then either keep or sell the spare LS50? Or pair with a Q650 center or all out for the R2c. There is an R200c for sale on Adverts and a discussion on matching LS50 with an R200c here:

I wouldn't be too worried about power. Buy an AVR and see how it fairs. If it struggles, get a power amp (as mentioned I have an Behringer A800 in the post to me from Thomann - €235)

D

Deleted member 901590

With audio equipment, is there parts that people would generally consider more important to buy new than used? For example, is it more risky buying an av receiver used than say speakers or a sub?

Difficult one to answer. Certainly with a speakers or sub they are more likely, if they have something wrong with them, to show it. You can listen to them in many cases and know instantly something is wrong.

However, you could have an AVR that's someone has spilt some of their Babycham in when it was powered off. They turned it upside down in the airing cupboard for a couple of days and it all seems to be working perfectly... but for how long?

Me personally, because the speakers/subs can (in most cases) be tested straight away, I'd buy them more confidently 2nd hand than an AVR.

Also note that a lot of sellers on ebay say things like "tested and working" or even "been using this every day it all works". Then, you could buy it and have to message them about the display being dim or the bluetooth not working etc etc and they will say that they didn't use that function so didn't know.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi Gasp,

Thanks again for the info. I've actually came across many of your posts in other threads on the forum here over the past few days as well, many of which have been very helpful to myself and I'm sure many others that have been searching through and reading the forums. Just wanted to say I appreciate it!

Unfortunetly I'm unable to listen to both first. The closest place near me is RS, but is a 4 hour roundtrip for me, and I just don't have the time at the moment. Though I'm sure it's probably worth making the trip.

I've read up a lot on both the Q350 and RP 600M. Many say they have a different sound between them, but both seem to get good reviews and feedback (though Klipsch less so in the UK since the RRP prices here are much higher than US), meaning it's only worth it if you can find a great deal. They also both have a matching easily available center that I could purchase if I decided I needed a center in the future.

If I thought the LS50 meta would have no issues with a more budget receiver, I would have considered them more. I can now get a used pair of the original KEF LS50 for £500 as well, which did tempt me, but same thing applies here. I'd likely need to up my receiver budget.

Looks like this one sold this morning, but will keep an eye out on the classifieds.

Yeah, a warranty would be more preferable with a receiver I think. Not sure if purchasing used can come with a transferable warranty either.

If a good used deal came up though, I'd consider it.

This is great to know on the easter sale. The SB1000 Pro and the 10 THX are now the two I'm looking at.

There is a SVS PB1000 PRO also on the classifieds here also with 4.5 years warranty left, though not sure if transferable. Do you think it would be worth getting a used SVS PB1000 PRO or a new SB1000 Pro if priced the same?

I actually need to measure the room size. It would have a long / narrow shape. A rough estimate is 28ft by 15ft.

8,5 x 4,5m room, more on the larger side then. I would definitely lean more toward the PB if size isn´t issue. SVS should have transferable warranty as that has been talked many times before, but you are likely to get brand new Monolith 12 THX for same price or even less on next week. It would offer slightly better performance also as it´s more direct competitor for PB2000 Pro. But you would be fine with the 1000 Pro no doubt!

Personally i would be afraid to buy used receiver unless Yamaha aventage model. Some have horrible luck and it may end up more expensive than new one after repairs or it will last fine the next 5 years. Who knows. Speakers are more safe, but how are they been played, if some young teenager he might have been plasting them roughly. The prices of used av-receivers are very high atm aswell. Buying new or old this time of year is the worst really, but no idea would it change much when new models are announced later in the summer if that happens.

Kef has slightly cheaper center channel at 419£ (Q650c) as RP-600c costs 499£. I would make sure the Kef Q650c fits as it´s quite massive. Objectively the Kefs are better speakers, but the Klipsches may sound more exciting for someone who likes extra brightness and should be able to played loud. But there is also benefits with the single point source UniQ driver design. Tricky to guess what one would like better without auditioning.

WeaponX

There'll probably be a sale on all the Monoprice speakers, not just the subs.

What's the new budget? Is it crazy to suggest getting that pair of second hand LS50's and the clearance pair from RS so you have a front three and then either keep or sell the spare LS50? Or pair with a Q650 center or all out for the R2c. There is an R200c for sale on Adverts and a discussion on matching LS50 with an R200c here:

I wouldn't be too worried about power. Buy an AVR and see how it fairs. If it struggles, get a power amp (as mentioned I have an Behringer A800 in the post to me from Thomann - €235)

Do you think the 40% off deal will reappear again like last weeks Amazon deal on the Monolith speakers?

Unfortunetley the used LS50s are a different colour to the Metas. Would like to keep the same colour theme if I went the 3 LS50 route.

I think I'll be happy to with the Q350 or RP-600M. Maybe even the Monolith speakers if a super sale appears. However, I haven't seen many reviews or discussion on the Monolith speakers online, only their subs. How do the Monilith speakers compare to say the Q350 or RP-600M?

Difficult one to answer. Certainly with a speakers or sub they are more likely, if they have something wrong with them, to show it. You can listen to them in many cases and know instantly something is wrong.

However, you could have an AVR that's someone has spilt some of their Babycham in when it was powered off. They turned it upside down in the airing cupboard for a couple of days and it all seems to be working perfectly... but for how long?

Me personally, because the speakers/subs can (in most cases) be tested straight away, I'd buy them more confidently 2nd hand than an AVR.

Also note that a lot of sellers on ebay say things like "tested and working" or even "been using this every day it all works". Then, you could buy it and have to message them about the display being dim or the bluetooth not working etc etc and they will say that they didn't use that function so didn't know.

Thanks. This is useful to know, especially with ebay.

8,5 x 4,5m room, more on the larger side then. I would definitely lean more toward the PB if size isn´t issue. SVS should have transferable warranty as that has been talked many times before, but you are likely to get brand new Monolith 12 THX for same price or even less on next week. It would offer slightly better performance also as it´s more direct competitor for PB2000 Pro. But you would be fine with the 1000 Pro no doubt!

Personally i would be afraid to buy used receiver unless Yamaha aventage model. Some have horrible luck and it may end up more expensive than new one after repairs or it will last fine the next 5 years. Who knows. Speakers are more safe, but how are they been played, if some young teenager he might have been plasting them roughly. The prices of used av-receivers are very high atm aswell. Buying new or old this time of year is the worst really, but no idea would it change much when new models are announced later in the summer if that happens.

Kef has slightly cheaper center channel at 419£ (Q650c) as RP-600c costs 499£. I would make sure the Kef Q650c fits as it´s quite massive. Objectively the Kefs are better speakers, but the Klipsches may sound more exciting for someone who likes extra brightness and should be able to played loud. But there is also benefits with the single point source UniQ driver design. Tricky to guess what one would like better without auditioning.

I've now measured it, and it was slightly smaller. 25ft by 12ft.

All of the positive comments on Monolith's subs and the upcoming sale have me leaning on picking up a Monolith during the sale. Thanks again for recommending them. Any idea how much % wise they usually get discounted on the sale?

Also, have you any thoughts on Monoliths speakers should they appear on sale also? I haven't looked into their speakers, only subs, but there seems to be less information and comments online regarding their speakers than say KEF or Klipsch. Do they have a speaker that competes at a similar level to Q350 / RP 600M in your opinion that are worth considering if on sale?

Yeah, I read that right now isn't a great time to buy a receiver due to high prices and upcoming models. The issue is that I'd prefer not to wait till late summer. Even if I was able to buy a budget receiver now, come later in the year I could always sell it then upgrade to a newer model.

Thanks again for all of the help.

sjackson

I doubt we'd see the 40% again. Maybe 15% - 20%.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Do you think the 40% off deal will reappear again like last weeks Amazon deal on the Monolith speakers?

Unfortunetley the used LS50s are a different colour to the Metas. Would like to keep the same colour theme if I went the 3 LS50 route.

I think I'll be happy to with the Q350 or RP-600M. Maybe even the Monolith speakers if a super sale appears. However, I haven't seen many reviews or discussion on the Monolith speakers online, only their subs. How do the Monilith speakers compare to say the Q350 or RP-600M?

Thanks. This is useful to know, especially with ebay.

I've now measured it, and it was slightly smaller. 25ft by 12ft.

All of the positive comments on Monolith's subs and the upcoming sale have me leaning on picking up a Monolith during the sale. Thanks again for recommending them. Any idea how much % wise they usually get discounted on the sale?

Also, have you any thoughts on Monoliths speakers should they appear on sale also? I haven't looked into their speakers, only subs, but there seems to be less information and comments online regarding their speakers than say KEF or Klipsch. Do they have a speaker that competes at a similar level to Q350 / RP 600M in your opinion that are worth considering if on sale?

Yeah, I read that right now isn't a great time to buy a receiver due to high prices and upcoming models. The issue is that I'd prefer not to wait till late summer. Even if I was able to buy a budget receiver now, come later in the year I could always sell it then upgrade to a newer model.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Of course 365-T and C if you can afford them and like the looks. They meant to be used with sub always. Not the prettiest, but dual 6,5" drivers each, HDF cabinets and THX Ultra rated to meet certain things mentioned here:

We will see what the easter sales brings regarding subs and speakers. Best to wait while.

The new models aren´t likely going to introduce anything special other than more hdmi 2.1 connections, but i was more thinking would the current model prices go down then. Just aim for X2700H as minium so you should be good, although the X3700H is still the sweet spot cause 11.2 processing (never say never with this hobby), preouts and the better room correction.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks again. Going to hold out for the easter sales and hopefully see some nice deals appear!

Pfff. If you still considering Kef there is cheap R200c available in gloss black. It could be partnered with LS50 / Metas. Naturally you should then look X3700H / SR6015, perhaps ask around if there is open box / ex-display unit cheaper with full warranty.

cns

Standard Member
I may have missed where you were located, but have found the rs in Belfast to never have a working demo room, always packed with stock.
If near coleraine there is a big audio shop, sound lights and vision I think it was called, with stereo and theatre demo rooms. There is another place on the Lisburn road of Belfast with a demo room, lyric hifi.
I recall seeing some Polk speakers in Armagh also.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom