2.1 system, Subwoofer & ARC question(s).

jabberwocky-

Hi Guys/Gals,

Been a while since I posted on here, amazingly I remembered my login details!

Anyhow, got a couple of A/V questions for you clever people if that's OK?

Here is my current 2.1 setup:-

Denon x3300w receiver.

Lounge - Panasonic 55950b OLED TV (from receivers HDMI OUT Zone 1, into TV's HDMI 2/ARC)
Bedroom - Samsung 40" 4K TV (from receivers HDMI OUT Zone 2)

Going into the receiver I have:
SKY Q 4K HDR box
XBOX ONE X

All HDMI cables are at least (apparently) 2.0a.

Speakers are:
2 Sony Bookshelfs, set to 'small' on the receiver, 80hz crossover
1 Sony Subwoofer (SA-WM500), set to 80hz crossover.

Question 1:
I have sky Q sound output set to 'Normal' (sky menu-system-audio/video), and set the sound option on my Denon via the Music or Movie button to 'Stereo'
Sky Cinema sounds good to me, and get good base to my Sub
However having it like this (even though it sounds fine) my Denon does not show 'LFE' as highlighted when pressing my receivers info button?
If I set my SKY Q to Dolby digital it shows, but the sound is much quieter and less clear.
Have I got this setup correctly? It sounds OK, just curious if i'm using the correct setup for a 2.1 system

Question 2:
We use the TV's apps (Amazon/Netflix/Iplayer/YouTube) quite often, as they often give much better quality streams than SKY Q.
TV is setup to use ARC and this all works fine, i.e. when I open one of these apps on the Panny my Denon realises this and changes to TV input and sounds comes out speakers OK.
However my subwoofers base from these apps seems much less than from SKY Q, any ideas what Sound options/settings I should use on my receiver or TV to get optimum 2.1 sound? (Also bizarrely when using these apps, i lose the ability to see my Denon's on screen menu's so can't see the 'info' screen to confirm what my Denon is receiving).

dante01

Distinguished Member
If you've only 2 front speakers and a sub then you'd not need to restrict the output from sources to 2 channels and nor would you need to invole the receiver's stereo mode. The AV receiver will automatically mix down mulrichannel sources without you having to do anything or use the stereo mode. So if you were outputting Dolby Digital 5.1 from the SKY box to the AV receiver then the AV receiver would simply mix the 5.1 audio down to 2.1.

If only conveying 2 channel stereo audio from a source then you'd not get an LFE channel. You'd only get an LFE channel if conveying the actual discrete LFE channel to the AV receiver. Stereo consists of just a left and a right channel and has no discrete LFE channel.

Note that you should also configure your speakers as being SMALL in order for the sub to handle the lower end frequencies ordinarilly sent to the other 2 speakers. I'd suggest you use the receiver's crossover for the front left and right speakers and set this to 80Hz. THis will then redirect frequencies at and below 80Hz from the front speakers and output thoose frequencies via the sub.

The Audio associated with the Dolby Digital feed is due to the wider dynamic range you'd be getting in association with Dolby Digital.

Streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon etc use slightly better definition audio with slightly better bitrates than you'd ordinarilly get via most HD TV or satellite TV broadcasts. This could explain why you perceiving the audio you get via some streaming services as being superior to that which you get via SKY satellite?

You cannot portray the AV receiver's own onscreen graphics on the TV while using ARC because the video signal isn't passibg through or eminating from the AV receiver. ARC is an Audio Return Channel used to convey just audio from the ARC enabled TV back to an ARC enabled AV receiver via the HDMI cable ordinarilly used to convey a signal from the AV receiver to the TV. THe cable has been reporposed and is now only conveying audio to the AV receiver and not video to the TV. THe video is being sourced by the TV itself and the AV receiver has no means by which to mix its own graphics into what you are seeing on the screen. You do not get an AV receiver's oncreen graphics if and when using ARC.

Last edited:

jabberwocky-

Just clarify question 1 - Can I get a LFE signal, from say Sky Q, into my 2.1 only setup? or would it require Dolby digital to be used along with a 5.1/7.1 sound profile on my Amp, which presumably would mean id be missing any sounds sent to front and rears? or would my Denon mix those front/rear into my L&R speakers?

Trying to word this so it makes sense, sorry if doesn't!

jabberwocky-

If you've only 2 front speakers and a sub then you'd not need to restrict the output from sources to 2 channels and nor would you need to invole the receiver's stereo mode. The AV receiver will automatically mix down mulrichannel sources without you having to do anything or use the stereo mode. So if you were outputting Dolby Digital 5.1 from the SKY box to the AV receiver then the AV receiver would simply mix the 5.1 audio down to 2.1.

If only convey 2 channel audio from a source then you'd not get an LFE channel. Dolby also prevent the LFE channel from being mixed down into just 2 channel audio. You'd only get an LFE channel if conveying that channel to the AV receiver from the source as an actual discrete channel.

Note that you should also configure your speakers as being SMALL in order for the sub to handle the lower end frequencies ordinarilly sent to the other 2 speakers. I'd suggest you use the receiver's crossover for the front left and right speakers and set this to 80Hz. THis will then divert frequencies at and below 80Hz from the front speakers and output thoose frequencies via the sub.

The Audio associated with the Dolby Digital feed is due to the wider dynamic range you'd be getting in association with Dolby Digital.

Streaming services use slightly better sefinition audio with slihjly better bitrates than you'd ordinarilly get via most TV or satalite TV broadcasts. THius could explain why you perveive the audio you get via some streaming services as being superior to that which you get via SKY satalite?

You cannot portray the AV receiver's own on screen graphics on the TV while using ARC because the video signal isn't passibg through or eminating from the AV receiver. ARC is an Audio Return Channel used to convey just audio from the ARC enabled TV back to an ARC enabled AV receiver via the HDMI cable ordinarilly used to convey a signal from the AV receiver to the TV. THe cable has been reporposed and is now only conveying audio to the AV receiver and not video to the TV. THe video is being sourced by the TV itself and the AV receiver has no means by which to mix its own graphics into what you are seeing on the screen. You do not get an AV receiver's increen graphics if and when using ARC.
Thanks Dante - just skimming your above post answers my question I think..re-reading it now will let you know in a bit, thanks for helping me understand this

gibbsy

Just clarify question 1 - Can I get a LFE signal, from say Sky Q, into my 2.1 only setup? or would it require Dolby digital to be used along with a 5.1/7.1 sound profile on my Amp, which presumably would mean id be missing any sounds sent to front and rears? or would my Denon mix those front/rear into my L&R speakers?

You will have to 'tell' the Denon what speakers are connected which would be just the two fronts and a sub. The Denon will automatically downmix any 5.1 audio from the SkyQ box into 2.1. Set the Sky box to Dolby on the audio options.

dante01

Distinguished Member

You'd have to configure the source so that it outputs multichannel Dolby Digital if and when available in order to then be able to convey an LFE channel to the AV receiver if present. THe receiver should have no issues with this despite you only having a 2.1 setup. THe AV receiver would simply downmix the other channels into the left and right channel while also sending the LFE channel to the sub if and when present.

jabberwocky-

Thanks Dante & Gibbsy, you have both have answered my question, i'll set my SKYQ to output Dolby Digital (though it means i need to ramp up the volume more than usual), and yes my receiver is configured to just use L&R +Sub speakers (80hz crossover), i'll set my receiver to 'Auto' for the sound profile.

I was just concerned doing this would mean any rear and centre sounds would be 'lost', based on your comments they would be instead be mixed into my L&R channels so that's OK.

And thanks Dante for confirming the ARC & missing receiver info screens query, that makes sense.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom