2.1 system-kef lsx or avr?

standby

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Complete noob here saying hi and hoping to benefit from your collective expertise.

I’m doing my research to set up a new system in my tv room. The room is 185 sq feet/17sq m. Wooden floor bay window one rug etc.

The tv is a new 43 inch Sony xf85 series. I have a a sat tv box, DVD player, Apple TV and Nintendo switch I want to integrate. I also listen to a fair amount of music via cd, and stream Qobuz. Any system will be shared with TV movies music and gaming.

So I have a system query.
Option 1 is feed my sat box,dvd,atv and switch all into my tv via hdmi and then go optical out into a pair of kef lsx and then go sub out from the kef master into a rel t zero.

Option 2 is feed all sources via hdmi into an av receiver then go hdmi arc into tv and then have wired speakers coming from the avr. The sub would also be wired to the Avr. Two avr I’m looking at are the Yamaha RXS602 and Sony are dn 1080. Possible Speakers are kef LS50 or monitor audio silver 50 or dynaudio emits.

So like I said any system will share duties with TV movies and music. Option 1 the kef lsx has minimal wiring,is Roon ready,Bluetooth etc but if I want to put on a cd or stream I would need to turn on the tv(I think). Also my understanding is that lfe sound effects won’t be transmitted/sent to the sub so losing out on the rumble in movies but will work fine with music.

Option 2 is also Roon Ready via AirPlay Bluetooth etc but involves running speaker wire in front of my inset stove fireplace(wife complaints!) but would allow lfe sound wffects to be sent to sub. Also I wouldn’t need to turn on the tv just to playa cd or stream some music.

So which option might better serve my situation. Or what other set and components would. I note on the Sony avr review here the reviewer stated that if all you are doing is 2.1 then there are better options. What would those be?

Would the Yamaha or Sony be powerful enough to power the passives to a good level and be able to match the lsx 100w per speaker?

Also and this might swing it-if I go with Yamaha or Sony is it possible to intergrate their respective wireless speakers into a 5.1 set up with the avr powering passives as well. A mix of wired and wireless speakers if you will and if so has anyone actually done it and does it work?

Any other suggestions tips and considerations greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who contribute

Do you have a floor plan showing intended seating and AV layout?

Joe

image.jpg

I'm also considering the Denon heos avr. I could use KEF ls50 or monitor audio silver 50 or dynaudio emit for wired front L+R and add in the wireless heos sub and then perhaps add in a pair of heos 1 wirelessly for a combined 4.1 system. I'm I right in thinking that the Denon heos avr is the only manufacturer offering this mix n match capability of wired and wireless?

The position of the TV is not ideal and is always going to be a compromise in term of TV/Movie audio playback.

If Music playback is important and the room layout cannot change I would tend to optimise your LR Loudspeaker placement either side of the chimney for music playback and then see where the TV will fit.

Joe

Hi,
I haven't considered moving the TV....... The only other spot is probably on the chimney stack above the mantle piece..... Not sure herself would go for that. Also I'd have to go channelling for wires etc so I'm not sure that's going to happen.
My speakers are currently either side of the chimney...well the left one is to the left of the TV as you look at it. Would you recommend having them either of the chimney so the the TV is then on the left of the left speaker?

'My speakers are currently either side of the chimney...well the left one is to the left of the TV as you look at it. Would you recommend having them either of the chimney so the the TV is then on the left of the left speaker?' - I would experiment with the TV 'Inside or outside' of the TV, both options can work.

Joe

Joe thanks I appreciate the input. When I settle on how I'm proceeding audio wise I will be doing just that.

Any thoughts on the KEF Vs avr Vs Denon heos ideas.

Amp + Speakers - for your layout I would stick with a 2.0 or 2.1 system.

I would either go the 'Active' route you are considering or a more conventional 'HiFi'' Stereo Amp with Digital Input or one of the relatively new breed of Stereo Amps with Digital Input plus onboard streaming capabilities.

I would avoid using an AVR unless there was some reason to be planning to use additional Loudspeakers.

Speaker wise you could consider a 2.1 system (though keep the Sub on the same wall as the Front LR) or select a loudspeaker pair which do not require a Sub.

Joe

Joe you're great.
Yea the active route is feed everything into the TV and the go optical from TV to KEF lsx, which is fine for watching TV+movies however I would need to turn on the TV to listen to a CD- not sure I can accept that?

As for the hifi route, could you explain to me(if it's not to much hassle) how you would integrate a sky box,dvd, switch and Apple TV into a hifi stereo amplifier and get sound out to speakers and visuals onto the TV screen? Would I encounter any issue like with the lsx and having having to turn on a TV to listen to a cd etc

Connectivity would be much the same no matter if it is the Active Speakers or a 'Digital' Stereo Amp you use - your can connect your 'Video' Source(s) via HDMI to the TV then a single Optical Out from the TV to the Optical Input on the Active Speaker or 'Digital' Stereo Amp.

You can then connect the CD via 2RCA/3.5mm analogue to the Active Speaker or Stereo Amp or if you prefer a Digital connection from the CD (to use the CD Player as a Transport only) - add a low cost 2x1 Optical Switch to the system (will cost around £30).

You can then use the CD Player plus Active Speaker or Stereo Amp without the TV being on.

Joe

Ok , I will have to go and wrap my head around that one. Does it make any difference if I'm planning on using the dvd as the cd transport/player as well?

Putting me on the spot now !

Sony X something 700. I'm not able to go see at the moment. I will probably upgrade in the next 12-18 months tho.

Why? Does 8t make a difference for connecting based on the model?

Hopefully the Player (or any New player you introduce) has a 2RCA Stereo Output which you can use for CD Playback whilst retaining the HDMI connection to the TV for 'Video' playback.

Joe

Personally in your situation I'd be inclined to go for a stereo amp and passive speakers, preferably a modern amp with digital inputs.

I'm about to build a small extension that will add a small sitting room/snug along with a utility room and downstairs look and I'm looking for a similar system myself.

I have in mind a Marantz PM6006 (unless I can scrape a bigger budget together) which fits the bill.

My father recently picked up a NAD C338 - massively impressed with it, and great streaming functionality with Chromecast built in. Paired with a pair of 684 S2s and an ASW610 :)

Though, I personally prefer the sound of my 685 S2s + PV1 - currently paired with a X2400H; more punch in lower mids/upper bass which suits me more.

Not sure where you're based but you'd be welcome to pop round for an extended listening test :)

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. My brain is fried trying to decide which way to proceed.
2 or 2.1 active or passive, or go AVR initially 2 or 2.1 and then expand. Each option has pros and cons,good reports bad reports, !!!

Just to throw in that I've got a similar setup (KEF LS50W and BK elec sub). Works very well and the bass is still very strong in films. No complaints really.

It's not as impressive as my previous 5.1 separates system but it is much neater and amazing for music.

Just to throw in that I've got a similar setup (KEF LS50W and BK elec sub). Works very well and the bass is still very strong in films. No complaints really.

It's not as impressive as my previous 5.1 separates system but it is much neater and amazing for music.

Hey Mitor, that’s excellent. Can I ask what sources and how you’ve connected everything? Just on the sub from the kef master, did you connect to the single mono input on the bk sub or use a single rca out into a rca left/right into the sub. I also see they have a Rel type Neutrik cable input, I take it that isn’t used?? If you could tell me how you’ve connected your different sources and then from the tv etc and any drawbacks or annoyances etc that would be great

@joe,
So my dvd/cd player has hdmi out, rca left/right out a coax out and a (coax?) video out. What would be the best way of connecting this to say a kef lsx and a tv so that I can display visually with sound on the tv and yet if I want to play a cd I don’t have to turn on the tv. I’m thinking use the hdmi into tv , but what way would you connect into the lsx(optical and 3.5mm only) maybe a left right rca cable that terminates in 3.5mm if such a thing exists?

If so could I have both connected at the same and then select optical input on the kef when I want to listen to what’s on the tv or dvd(into the tv) and then select aux on the kef when I want just listen to a cd and leave the tv off? Would that work..

Active Speakers - you seem keen on these :)

There are Pros and Cons with Active - you gain good integration between the Amp and Speaker drivers but lose the ability to change out one or other, less connectivity and often a few less controls.

You lose some of the Active ‘better integration’ argument when you then have to add a stand alone Sub.

Sub - you may require one or possibly a better solution would be a ‘full range’ Speaker if the ‘bookshel’ KEF’s do need underpinned in your room.

Any chance you can try out the KEF’s in your room.

DVD - yes HDMI to the TV (then Optical Out from the TV) plus 2RCA to the ‘Amp’.

2RCA to 3.5mm is a very common cable.

Joe

Joe, that is clear and concise thank you.
No I won't be able to test it demo the LEDs before hand. My thought process at the moment is that the kefs may not need the sub, but it can't hurt to add a little to he bottom end for movies etc and music too. I'm thinking of the relationship t zero. Ive looked at bk Elec subs too and they are a forum favourite and we'll regrdeduand good value compared to the Tel, my main deciding factor at he moment is the waf. It can't be huge must fit in with the furniture etc and if possible be hidden.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom