2.1 Speakers budget less than £200

mjgclutch

Standard Member
Hi,

I am looking to buy some 2.1 speakers for my lounge. I don't have an amp, and don't really want to spend the money on one.

I would like to use the speakers for Blu ray use, as well as playing CD's.

I was looking at the Onkyo HTX-22HD, but I was wondering if the speakers were too small for a lounge (about 14 by 12 feet) Or will the small speakers pack enough punch, despite the small size.

Would prefer smaller speakers, but if floorstanders are the way forward I wouldn't mind.

I know nothing about speakers, so apologies if I have missed out some vital information.

Thanks

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I am looking to buy some 2.1 speakers for my lounge. I don't have an amp, and don't really want to spend the money on one.

If you don't have an amp and don't want to buy one, how would you power your speakers??? :)

You need an amp of some description, do you want a seperate amp and speakers or more of an all-in-one amp and speaker package??

If you want an all-in-one type, let me know and I'll move this thread to the right forum. If looking for an all-in-one you need to make sure it has a digital (coax / optical) input for the audio from your BR player.

A seperate AV receiver (amp) and Speaker set might cost more but IMHO would be mroe 'future proof' and better quality.

:thumbsup:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Sorry, Bald Monkey, but I'm pretty sure the Onkyo HTS22HD's have built-in amps and can eventually be expanded from 3.1 to 5.1 for less than £100.

The only thing I would suggest is going to the Onkyo.com website and looking up the specs on this system to make sure you have enough input connections to accommodate your existing equipment.

Keep in mind that you can plug a lot of things into the TV, then take the HDMI, Optical, or coaxil output of the TV and feed the amp.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

ChrisAV

Yep, deinitely got a built in amp (max 40W RMS). Here's the link to the manual:

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/dl/1043087/HTX-22HD_En.pdf

or to save you looking it up, inputs are:

• 2 HDMI inputs
• 2 optical inputs, 1 coaxial input
• 2 analog inputs

Chris

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
Sorry, Bald Monkey, but I'm pretty sure the Onkyo HTS22HD's have built-in amps and can eventually be expanded from 3.1 to 5.1 for less than £100.

:D

Cheers... he does still need an amp of some description though. ;)

As this is now obviously a 2.1 'all-in-one' system I'll move this to the correct forum.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

mjgclutch

Standard Member
What a muppet I am. I did say I knew little about speakers.

Yeah, I do want all-in-ones. Well, with that budget I wouldn't be able to get an amp and decent speakers, or would I?

I just have the TV and PS3, so will those Onkyo's be the best bet?

Are there any other 2.1 all in one sets, for less than 200?

Sorry about posting on the wrong forum.

Thanks

mjgclutch

Standard Member
Any help with this?

The Onyko doesn't seem to be available. I want 2.1 without DVD player for less than £200.

Do such packages exist, of reasonable quality? If not, what is the minimum I would have to spend on receiver, sub and speakers?

Thanks

cols

2.1 is basically just stereo and a sub... At least with the onkyo you can upgrade it to 5.1ch, but if you're dead against 5.1ch then why not just get a stereo amp and speakers?

mjgclutch

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply

There lies the problem.

I want 2.1, with the idea of upgrading, when I move out of home. Which is why the Onyko is ideal. It just doesn't seem to be available.

I think my best alternative will be to buy a reciever, sub, and speakers. With the idea of buying another 3 later on. My only issue is cost. Will £200 suffice?

cols

Aha... As you say, the onkyo is ideal for your needs... Nowhere has it? I think, rather than purchase something that isn't quite what you want, the best bet would be to be patient and keep checking for when it becomes available. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom