2.1 setup with music in pure direct mode AND for movies wiring issue

ldx00

Novice Member
Hi All,

I've read a few posts relating to my question, but couldn't find one that addressed it directly so posting new.

I have 2 bookshelf speakers, a centre and a sub (Elac 2030, it has only left/right inputs and can accept LFE to just one or the other inputs) and a receiver RX-A810 (has pre-outs for all chennels)

Basically if I only want to use for music OR for movies, I have no issue:

Music: Even in PURE DIRECT mode, if I wire the left/right pre-amp outputs to the sub then I always get the sub working and I can use the crossover of the sub to roll it off

Movies: I wire in just the LFE channel to the sub and the surround decode does the rest. Crossover is set on the amp

Now the problem! How do I wire it for both?!

I did think maybe I could take just the left channel and wire it into the sub, then take the LFE output and wire that into the "right" channel on the sub, but then I thought it might end up doing some weird things when it takes the "average" of the 2 signals (although since the LFE is only wired to one or other of the inputs, ie left or right, maybe such averaging doesn't take place? Not sure...). Also I'd have no idea what to do with the cross-over in this case and this is maybe the bigger issue.

I think basically what I want to do is impossible and I'm just going to have wire for Movies and abandon PURE DIRECT mode listening and always have some sort of surround processing going on...

Any help appreciated!

KMO

For what you're doing, you're having to fiddle subwoofer settings anyway to switch between suitable-LPF-for-full-range-mains and no-LPF-for-receiver-crossover. In which case swapping connectors while you're there is no big deal? Maybe just get a little 2-way stereo switch box to save plugging and unplugging.

Personally, I don't see any huge point in DIRECT or PURE DIRECT mode. If I wanted to use the sub, I'd just run in STEREO mode and use the receiver crossover.

Some higher-end Denon receivers have the option of enabling the subwoofer in stereo DIRECT or PURE DIRECT mode - they can use an analogue 80Hz LPF to produce a signal on the LFE pre-out. But I don't see an equivalent function in your Yamaha manual. (And you'd probably still want to fiddle the sub's own LPF, unless 80Hz happened to be the correct frequency.)

Oh, one more option. From the manual you could set Extra Bass to On, and the fronts to Large. That would send full-range to the mains, and use a digital LPF to send bass to the subwoofer. That wouldn't work in DIRECT mode, but it would achieve the same sort of "fill-in" rather than "crossover". Probably just as awkward a set of settings to keep flipping.

ldx00

Novice Member
For what you're doing, you're having to fiddle subwoofer settings anyway to switch between suitable-LPF-for-full-range-mains and no-LPF-for-receiver-crossover. In which case swapping connectors while you're there is no big deal? Maybe just get a little 2-way stereo switch box to save plugging and unplugging.

Personally, I don't see any huge point in DIRECT or PURE DIRECT mode. If I wanted to use the sub, I'd just run in STEREO mode and use the receiver crossover.

Some higher-end Denon receivers have the option of enabling the subwoofer in stereo DIRECT or PURE DIRECT mode - they can use an analogue 80Hz LPF to produce a signal on the LFE pre-out. But I don't see an equivalent function in your Yamaha manual. (And you'd probably still want to fiddle the sub's own LPF, unless 80Hz happened to be the correct frequency.)

Oh, one more option. From the manual you could set Extra Bass to On, and the fronts to Large. That would send full-range to the mains, and use a digital LPF to send bass to the subwoofer. That wouldn't work in DIRECT mode, but it would achieve the same sort of "fill-in" rather than "crossover". Probably just as awkward a set of settings to keep flipping.
Wow thanks for the detailed reply! You've given me a few things to try out and I'll try to report back on what I settle on if it works out nicely!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom