2.1 setup OR sonos soundbar advice?

mac74

Hello all I have a LG CX 55" tv with a panasonic ub820 4k player, in the corner of a 4.5x3m room.
In the av setup a have a bk gemini 2 sub behind the tv, 2 monitor audio bx2's running from a mini denon m39 under tv, via basic optical & sub out.
However i never really mess around switching on that sound set up, due to it being a bit loud for a sml flat (neighbours), and want something that is less faff.
The tv has atmos and eARC out.
So i have ordered a sonos beam v2 direct from sonos, and was wondering if this WILL? give me a better sound option than the tv speakers only, with it all being dolby atmos? Thanks m

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Not sure why you think a Soundbar is ‘less faff’ than your current system.

Audio issues are pretty much always down to poor configuration and room layout/integration - if you want/have to listen at low volume you would ideally have an AVR which offers you the ability to lift the audio out of the mix.

Amy system, amp or Soundbar based, will tend to come ‘alive’ at a given output level in different rooms.

The SONOS Beam ought to sound a fair bit better than the TV speakers - though will it do so at the Output level you require is another matter.

Joe

mac74

Not sure why you think a Soundbar is ‘less faff’ than your current system.

Audio issues are pretty much always down to poor configuration and room layout/integration - if you want/have to listen at low volume you would ideally have an AVR which offers you the ability to lift the audio out of the mix.

Amy system, amp or Soundbar based, will tend to come ‘alive’ at a given output level in different rooms.

The SONOS Beam ought to sound a fair bit better than the TV speakers - though will it do so at the Output level you require is another matter.

Joe
Hello Joe, thanks 4 the reply.
What i meant by a faff around was whilst putting a decent movie on, meant me ducking through the tv unit, being careful not to knock everything down, by switching the sub on. Then trying to blend the lip sync audio together on the speakers with the tv. Then if the neighbours returned back home, im ducking back under to turn the sub down, what a ball ache!
However when i did take the time mess around setting it up, it was good, but still only 2.1 digital not atmos.

Like i said, i ideally want something thats a bit more convenient, like a soundbar with the new atmos, and today the sonos has turned up! Ive only had a brief test due to it being late in the day when i had time.

More testing tomorrow, now a have the beam 2.

Tv sound only
2.1 only (no tv speaker)
Sonos beam 2 only

Regards m

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Setup is key to any system :)

TV speakers - should be Off/Disbaled when you are using the Amp+Speaker or a Soundbar, avoid tying to ‘blend’ the TV speakers with any other speaker system.

Sub - should be set and then usually left well alone as the Amp will adjust the signal level going to the Sub as you raise and lower the main volume level.

Most amps will offer you the option to adjust the Sub output level ‘on the fly’ using the amp remote and or enable listening modes to suit different circumstances, Night Time mode will, for example, usually reduce the Sub Output.

Some Subs do offer you a remote and onboard Modes if your Amp lacks those functions.

Subs can usually be left in Standby with an ‘Auto on’ signal sensing mode. If you prefer to physically switch the Sub On/Off you could install a power socket with remote On/Off to save any fiddling at the rear of your kit rack.

Hope the testing goes well.

Joe

mac74

Hello all, i done some sound testing today with the end battle scene from the 4k blu ray - atmos version of 'saving private ryan' film. Below is my findings from novice ears.

1. LG CX TV speakers
Terrible sound in atmos, very muffled and has to be turned up to around 70+ to hear it?
Switch atmos off, and its a lot more clearer with dialogue and louder, and this is turned down to 40-50. But it lacks any real bass, as expected. However the LG tv sound is so much better than my previous sony w8 tv, which was bad.

2. 2.1 Set Up
Optical in (tv speakers off), loud powerful bass, dialogue not that sharp, smaller sounds not as noticeable.

3. Sonos beam 2
Very clear sound whilst running atmos, voices very clear and i can hear the smaller sound details with it, BUT i would have liked a little more bass from it.
I have setup the trueplay and turned the bass up in the EQ settings, but a bit more would have been better. Its NOT bad, but just not quite enough for me.

This is the reason i used to fanny around blending the tv speakers in with the 2.1 setup, because when i could get it right, the tv speakers gave me that vocal clarity combined with the bass from the 2.1 set up, if you know what i mean.

Anyway im going to give it a bit of time before i make a call on what to do. I know i can add the sonos sub, but thats another £650, and the rear speakers wont go. Then there is the ARC, but i dont really have room for it, and ive read/seen you tube vids that its not as vocally clear as the beam 2?

Cheers m

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom