2.1 set up - with floorstanders.....recommendations...?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by chalkstorm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. chalkstorm

chalkstorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all

Recently posted this...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...ce-information/1723498-all-change-2013-a.html

Pretty sure I want a 2.1 set up (although could be just a 2.0 if the speakers are bassy enough) - ideally with floorstanders. Nothing I can do will match the MA RS8 7.1 set up I have in my cinema room - which is making this harder...

The speakers will be backed into a corner, flanking the TV (until we sell and move house but then I'll probably have to sell of the cinema kit and keep the RS8s!). They will be mainly used for films....

I've considered the following:

Mission MX3
    Wharfedale 10.4
    Tannoy V4

Anything else I should consider? Amp is (for now) a Yamaha v373.

Thanks all...

:smashin:

2. chalkstorm

chalkstorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    So, reading lots on here, the Wharefedale 10.4 seems to be best value - found them for £229... seems like a good deal. Hopefully they'll do the job!

Feel free anyone to stop me if there are better choices out there. Will be used primarily for movies and some TV viewing.... and depending on how good the bass is, might not bother with a sub (for now anyway). Hopefully the amp will do the job for now too...

3. sergiup

sergiup
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,160
    I think you're right in that you probably won't be able to match the RS8s with this kind of budget, but the Diamond 10.4s that you favour are actually very decent for the price; do give the Tannoy Mercury V4s a go as well, they are exceptional speakers too for their price and only £250 or so.

For casual listening I don't think you'll need a sub with either of these - of course it would add that extra bit of low-end oomph, but both of these floorstanders should do quite well on their own (moreso the Tannoys).

4. chalkstorm

chalkstorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi guys. Finally bought some tannoy mercury 4s for £145 off eBay and a mourdant short sub...... Has ticked all the boxes!