1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.1 Output possible on Yamaha RX-V2500?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Beastie Boy, Jan 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering this amp as part of my up-coming Home Cinema project. One question I have for anyone owning this amp; is it possible to output music in a 2.1 mode?

What I was hoping to do was play an audio CD in the DVD player, connected to the amp via digital coax, and output the sound to my 2 fronts and the sub only.

Any other tips/views regarding this amp also appreciated :)

Cheers, Beastie.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    If its like the older 1400 you can set it up to use 2 channel stereo or just set it to straight and it will use the fronts and sub. Cracking amp BTW. I would love to upgrade my 1400 to one :devil:

3. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply Dfour.

That's what I wanted to hear. The rears that I'm considering (Mission M5DS) won't really be suitable for music, but I would still like to use the sub to support the fronts (Acoustic Energy AEGIS EVO 3's).
    Also good to hear your view of the amp, I was swayed by the review on Audioholics which praised the overall quality of the output.

Have you any views on whether the presence speakers are worthwhile? I'm still undecided as to whether or not to install a pair.

Cheers, Beastie.

EDIT: I've just noticed you also have the EVO 3's. What are your thoughts on these?

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I love them Beastie boy. For the money they are superb :D In all honesty you dont need a sub to reinforce them with music as they got low anyway. The only problem with them is they need room to breathe, AE recommend 1 metre from walls and corners or else they can boom and they will.:eek:

I have some old JVC surrounds (rewired) I use as presence speakers and I do feel they can make a difference with movies and music. It all depends upon personal taste and if you like DSP modes at all. I would recommend playing with them if you have some old speakers knocking arround (8-16 Ohm) and seeing if you like them.

Im just lucky my G/F is easy going and doesnt mind having 9 speakers and a huge sub in the living room :D :rotfl:

5. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pushing my luck with the wife havind a pair of floor-standers as it is, having them pushed out 1m into the room is not going to be possible.
    I guess if using a 2.1 setup, with the crossover point set correctly, any boominess can be minimised.

Out of interest, what crossover point do you use for movies, or are your fronts set to LARGE anyway?

Cheers, Beastie.

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    NO i think you have to have the spekaers setup properly or they will boom even with a sub as the bass is amplified by the walls. I dont have mine 1 metre into the room but kept away from the corners. I did still have problems with my right speaker booming but i have it mostly under control.
    I have my speakers all set to small and the crossover to 80 or 60 depending how im feeling.:D

Dont forget if floorstanders are pushing the WAF the evo1's are still superb main speakers in there own right and with a decent set of stands are fantastic for the money.
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1277