2.1 or pseudo-surround type systems

B

ben_gb

Hi,

I need to get a 2.1 or pseudo-surround type system. Not ideal, I know, but I will be moving in the not too distant future, and don't want to go to the trouble/expense of installing wires for rear speakers.

Ideally, what I'd like is something which has:

- decent sound overall
- a subwoofer
- 2 or more optical inputs
- if it has a built-in DVD, I would want it to be multi-region and with progressive and/or HDMI out
- good sound for playback of CD/Radio/MP3 inputs
- handles reproduction of speech well (on films/TV)

My main inputs will be an HTPC (with DVD player), a Roku soundbridge music player, Sky (soon to be HD). The output screen is a Sony 46X2000.

I am aware of the Yamaha 800 thing, but this isn't likely to work in my setting.

Budget is up to about £1000. Although this is for temporary use in my living room, I will use it in another location after I've moved so I'm prepared to spend a bit on it (though, of course, less would be better!).

Thanks for any recommendations or suggestions.

Regards,
Ben

Have you considered trying one of the Wireless rear speaker systems on the market? Sorry I don't have a link at the moment...

I recall reading a review of a Kef 2.1 systems in What HiFi - it has a "surround" function and they gave it good reviews. Sorry but I don't recall the model etc. Not even sure of price but pretty sure it was in your budget.

chriszzzzzz said:
Have you considered trying one of the Wireless rear speaker systems on the market? Sorry I don't have a link at the moment...

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have see a few mentions of wireless rear speakers, but people seem quite negative about them hereabouts!

I think I'd rather have good or great sound from a front-only system, rather than mediocre sound from a wireless system. However, if anyone knows of a good wireless system, please let me know!

Ben

Since your moving and maybe looking at getting upgrades later on, why not spend your money on a good AV receiver and two front speakers and equally good matching one centre and a sub....

Can always get the rears later on if your living situation permits....

1000 quid gets you pretty decent kit anyway you go here.

Good luck......

Bee-Man said:
Since your moving and maybe looking at getting upgrades later on, why not spend your money on a good AV receiver and two front speakers and equally good matching one centre and a sub....
Sorry to hijack...

I only have space for a 3.1 setup. Is it possible to set up any 5.1/7.1/9.1 receiver to put all the audio through as 3.1 then?

This would be great, since I don't have space for rear speakers.

Thanks

I've got a Denon S301 and would highly recommend it. Requires a CD hack to make it multi-region.

Homecinematv we're prepared to do it for me, I declined because I don't really need it and would have had to wait a few more days for delivery.

Bee-Man said:

Good luck......

My thoughts exactly. A grand would get you an excellent av receiver and a couple of good floorstanders. Seems silly to spend it on something that will be no use to you when you move.

Bee-Man said:

Good luck......

True, this is another possibility. In some ways this would be a better option, as I would then be able to have the centre speaker, which (I believe) would produce better speech.

I suppose my question then becomes...which normal AV receiver has a reasonable or good pseudo-surround mode for a 3.1 setup?

Ben

ben_gb said:
I suppose my question then becomes...which normal AV receiver has a reasonable or good pseudo-surround mode for a 3.1 setup?

Ben

I would be interested in the answer to this question too. How well do receivers handle a 3.1 setup, especially when there is significant amount of information on the rear channels. The Corrs Unplugged DVD comes to mind.

Bee-Man said:

Good luck......

Agreed, running 2 speaker and sub is no problems, just set the config page to having just those speakers available :)

You'd get a nice reciever, speakers and sub for that price too!
Dan.

Dankeech said:
Agreed, running 2 speaker and sub is no problems, just set the config page to having just those speakers available

Is the ability to choose which channels to use/turn off a generic thing with all receivers?

LoadofTosh said:
Is the ability to choose which channels to use/turn off a generic thing with all receivers?

As far as I know of. You configure in the setup of almost all recievers. Mine certainly and any I've seen. There may be the odd exception though. When I set the speaker setup of My T753 up to have only 2 speakers, it provides a downmix and if a sub were present and set to on, anything below the cutoff freq I specify would go to the Sub.

Hope this helps. £1k should get something fairly impressive seperates-wise and leave you with future upgrade path if choose to add extra speakers

Dan.

I don't know about other amps but my Onkyo 604 has auto set up and it knows which speakers are there and which aren't so I would assume most amps with auto set up would do the same.

I really would go this route as your budget will start you off with a very good 3.1 set up which to make 5.1 wouldn't cost that much more when you get round to it.:smashin:

Was faced with the moving issue and purchased the following.

Hsu Research VT-12 Ventriliquist 6.1 speakers.
JPW 221 subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V559 AV Recevier - suitalbe for 6.1

* You gotta buy a decent receiver and it will let you choose the options/outputs for either stereo and all channels etc.....also a preferred choice if playing compressed format audio in future, e.g party play list from a PC or iPod.

* I am only using two speakers with a centre at the moment and whilst not 360 deg sound, the soudstage from this system is phenomenal.

Cost was ~600 quid and a semi decent ~50 quid DVD player is good enough to mate it with.

Either way Ben, get a solid AV ~100W per channel for good clear sound and the speakers that you will want to use next year.....I did and am convinced I did the right thing....dont make the mistake of wasting 300 quid on music you wont want to hear when you move, then have to start again....

Whilst I know this is a UK forum, (Aussie living in Asia here) some of the American HT stuff is great value... svs sound and Hsu Research have some very impressive and economical home cinema kits...meaning subs and speaker packages for under US$1000K. Check Audioholics (our US cousin) for reviews....simply great bang for your buck...

Good luck....:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom