1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.1 for home cinema

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by clash33, May 31, 2005.

1. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I use the following config of four speakers what kind of sound will I get? Left - Right -Centre -Sub. As you can guess I don't want rear speakers for 5.1 so wonder if this is a usable option. Does anyone have a similar set up? :lease:

2. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You really need the rears for the full effect but at the same time it's better than stereo only.

Another option would be to get something like the Yamaha YSP-1 and a sub to do it all, this claims to do all in 1 (using 42 speakers) but how successful it is in that i don't know.

YSP link below, also a few other posts in the speaker section of this forum on it so do a search for them for full details.
    http://www.yamaha.ca/av/YSP1/main.jsp

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +781
    The sound would probably be marginaly better than stereo.

As well as the Yamaha system which oconnpad mentioned KEF also do a 2.1 system which is designed to give the illusion of 5.1.

I havent heard the yamaha system and I only briefly heard the KEF but it was reasonable. I believe that both will require a lot of adjustment to get a convincing sound from it and may be very dependant on the room shape/speaker possitions as they work on the principle that the walls reflect the sound to behind.

4. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It is an option, but not one I would choose. I would be more inclined to go down a straight stereo system in this situation. I dont thínk much would be gained by adding an AV amp and centre speaker.

5. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for those thoughts, I may well stick to the stereo set-up I have. I will also be interested to see how good the speakers are on my new LCD when I finally get it (fancy the new Phillips when it arrives in UK)